iTunes shut down, now Library is damaged

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53 Intel Core Duo Mac Mini; 4g RAM; 350g HD, OS 10.6.3
hey there,

my iTunes just shut down by itself, so i restarted my machine. when i restarted iTunes, it said that "cannot import iTunes Library because it is not the right kind of file". so when it did open up, it said that it was using "iTunes Library (damaged)". now 20 gigs or so of music is missing and all of my playlists are gone. any ideas? im not really worried about losing music as i back up pretty frequently. just curious as to why this would happen and if i can ever get the old library to work again. thanks in advance.

specs: dual 1.8 g5 powermac, os x.4.11, itunes version 7

OP
mcjacksonnelson
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
my system was backed up last night, so i can just import that itunes library. should i drag it to my machine? if i import it straight from the back up drive will it always put new songs on the backup drive and not my hd?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
THere should be 2 files

iTunes Library.xml and iTunes Library

the iTunes Library.xml is a back-up

back-up both files, then delete the old library, open up itunes and try and import the xml file to see if that one is ok

edit - no iTunes will behave as it has done before and will not put music on any other disk

OP
mcjacksonnelson
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hey thanks for the tip. it totally worked. i had to use the files from my backup drive, but all my playlists are back and so are all the songs. thanks again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.