• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

2 conversion ques: wmv to fcp & avi to fcp

TLB

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" Intel core 2 duo, 2.8 ghz, 4 gb ram, 500gb hd, 500 gb time capsule
1. I have a video clip in wmv that I would like to edit with Final Cut Express, that is, convert the wmv file to an fcp file. What are the options for doing that?

2. I have a number of .avi clips, originally stored on a windows pc, that I have transferred to an external hard drive connected to an iMac. I would like to edit the avi files with Final Cut Express. What would be the options for doing that?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Flip4Mac http://www.flip4mac.com/wmv_download.htm is the plug in of choice for wmv conversion. The free version works in trial mode so you can check it out and see whether you want to chunk out the $49.

As a possible alternative to buying something, there is a web site conversion service <a href="http://www.media-convert.com/">HERE</a>, but I have not tried it. I actually wonder why they would convert stuff for free...must be some catch...if you try it, post back and report.

For avi, VLC http://www.videolan.org/vlc/ will play it back, but I think Quicktime Pro will convert it.

OP
T

TLB

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks

Thanks for the recommendations. I will try out and let you know. Might be a while as I am away from home for a week or so.

OP
T

TLB

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
media-convert on web

I am away from the iMac, but I have the wmv file and tried to convert it to an avi file. Received this error message, "File size too big ! Upload aborted !". Looks like a "no go" for the conversion I am looking for.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.