Spotlight taking ages to index after upgrade to Leopard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook (refurb), 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo, 2 GB Memory, 60GB HDD
I did a simple upgrade from Tiger to Leopard and I've noticed a few problems since.

Ever since I've upgraded, the system has been very laggy i.e. lots of beach balls; from switching windows to opening programs. I never experienced this degree of lag in Tiger.

One of the big problems I've had though is with Spotlight. From a restart of Leopard, it seems to be taking forever to index my hard drive (a Macbook 1.8 CD, 2GHz RAM, 60GB HD). At this moment, it's been 20 minutes since I rebooted my Macbook and yet its still saying that it's indexing the drive. The estimated time has been fluctuating between 9 - 15 minutes.

I don't have Time Machine enabled, and Verify Disk and Verify Disk Permissions says that my Mac is OK.

I love Leopard but the small but pervasive problems are making it unusable.

Reaction score
firstly, i have had always had problems when upgrading to leopard form tiger,

if possible try do a clean install, the upgrade seems to jsut give problems, also the 10.5.2 update has sorted out alot o problems i have had before.

as for the indexing, if it is still having a heart attack, jsut force it to reindex the drive.

Reaction score
Might be a corrupted Spotlight preferences file. Try trashing the com.apple.spotlight.plist file (plist = preferences list).

It's inside your log-in user's folder, then inside the Library folder, then inside the Preferences folder. Then restart.

The plist file is only a text file of Spotlight's preferences and will be recreated when you restart. (You can read it by opening it with TextEdit.)

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks. I'l try these solutions and report back.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
firstly, i have had always had problems when upgrading to leopard form tiger,

if possible try do a clean install, the upgrade seems to jsut give problems, also the 10.5.2 update has sorted out alot o problems i have had before.

as for the indexing, if it is still having a heart attack, jsut force it to reindex the drive.

How do I force it to reindex the drive?

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks. I'l try these solutions and report back.

So I tried:

1) reindexing the drive
and
2) deleting the com.apple.spotlight.plist file
and
3) reinstalling leopard with an archive and install

but there's still plenty of occasions after a reboot when it will not finish indexing, like right this moment lol!

Is it possible that it may be a faulty HD?

p.s. My iMac is the machine i'm having spotlight problems with, but I also have a Macbook with is essentially a mirror of my iMac cos it has all the same applications and settings on it. The only difference between the two is just that my iMac has a few more songs and videos on it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.