• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple Gaming Console?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I am pretty sure you were told wrong

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4Ghz Black 4GB;iPod Touch 8GB;iPod mini 4GB silver;Logitech MX1000;
yes there was a console called pippin.

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
the New guy is correct. The Pippin was Apple's game console. It was basically a Mac that could play games, and it was over $1,000, and it failed very quickly.

Google it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I thought he was saying that apple is coming out with a new gaming console

OP
E

.emo.

i was saying they are coming out with one...ill ask my friend tommorow...he said some gaming mag.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
Interesting.

Scan it if you can.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Nightblade said:
Just wondering, but why is the name of this topic the same as its creator?
Fixed....

OP
E

evopanop

I think Apple coming out with a gaming console would be a great idea. Well, from a technical standpoint.

Sony has their own line of consoles, Microsoft has their own console, and I think Apple should team up with Nintendo and come out with a new console. It'd probably be a lot better than the GameCube, and most likely sell better, too; if they could do it right. *shrug*

OP
D

Desolate One

I'm pretty new here and I don't want to step over the line or anything but an Apple gaming system would flop. Granted I know Our machines are far more powerful, however there just aren't that many games on the Mac OS platform, comparitively speaking of course. At least that's wot I gathered from browsing the local Apple store's game software selection. And besides that, considering the power difference between Mac OS and Windows, there wouldn't be a need for a "gaming system" to begin with. Perhaps a different coloured shell or some blue LEDs. That's about it.

Or did I totally read this thread wrong and you guys were talking about a console like the XB or GC? If so then hey, more power to them. It's a huge and growing industry. I'd like to see wot they think of.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Yeah, I think they're talking about competing with the XBox, etc.

Personally I think it would be a HUGE mistake and here's why....
The console market is a commodity market. Apple doesn't fare all too well in a commodity market because they refuse to compete on price. While they might make a great console, no one will buy it because it will probably cost at least twice as much as their competitors.

At that point the only people who would spend that much on it would be hardcore gamers. And they most likely wouldn't simply because the Mac already has a bad rep as a gaming machine.

Apple would fail in this space, just like the Newton.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
The head of IBM is probably just getting his secretary to sleep with the Xbox departments CTO

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You know, if Apple made a console, it would probably have only 2 games on it... Jigsaw Puzzle, and a 3rd party game.

Much like the Macintosh...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.