really bugging me

R

Ripped85

OK...so i finally made up my mind to get the 15" superdrive powerbook and i realized it comes with SDRAM...that pisses me off...the 12 and 17 have ddr, which is standard today, and the 15 has SDRAM...

OP
H

hokiethang

And the problem is? The 15 inch is a bit older of a design, yet Apple takes full advantage of the ram, unlike PCs which have slow busses and poor designs. My 15 inch runs just as well as a 12 or 17 even with PC133 ram. The machines are designed with the ram in mind, so performance isnt affected as great as it would be in a PC. If you want DDR you have to wait for the revision to the powerbook which is due to be released sometime, but if you need it for school you can't wait.

OP
R

Ripped85

hokiethang said:
And the problem is? The 15 inch is a bit older of a design, yet Apple takes full advantage of the ram, unlike PCs which have slow busses and poor designs. My 15 inch runs just as well as a 12 or 17 even with PC133 ram. The machines are designed with the ram in mind, so performance isnt affected as great as it would be in a PC. If you want DDR you have to wait for the revision to the powerbook which is due to be released sometime, but if you need it for school you can't wait.

oo..sounds good....another question...it comes with that airport card...and the guy told me it also works in some parks where i live (NYC), so i have to buy anything to make that card work?

OP
H

hokiethang

Ripped85 said:
oo..sounds good....another question...it comes with that airport card...and the guy told me it also works in some parks where i live (NYC), so i have to buy anything to make that card work?

Airport cards do not require anything else to work, you will need a base station if you want to use it at home for access to the internet.

OP
R

Ripped85

hokiethang said:
Airport cards do not require anything else to work, you will need a base station if you want to use it at home for access to the internet.

ooo...so the base station will enable me to go on the internet without an isp?

OP
H

hokiethang

Ripped85 said:
ooo...so the base station will enable me to go on the internet without an isp?

no, the base station will allow you to connect wirelessly to an ISP connection. The access in the parks would have ISP connections to them. Any internet access has an ISP behind it, it may not be 100% obvious, but it does.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.