keyboard shortcuts

Reaction score
On my macbook, the keyboard shortcut for expose to view the desktop is F11. When I plug in my aluminum keyboard, there seems to be no desktop view option. I was trying to set it up to be F5 or F13, but then it changes the settings for the actual macbook keyboard. Does anyone have any idea about how to set a key for expose's desktop view on the aluminum keyboard, while still retaining the F11 key on my macbook's keyboard?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I don't want this to sound like a stupid question but what happens if you use F11 on the aluminum keyboard?

OP
JeffBookPro
Reaction score
it changes the volume. The aluminum keyboard seems to have its own set of rules that I wish I can find in osx lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Sounds like it's pre-configured with the same layout as the new macbooks
Look at Page 20 of this.

That doesn't help you in your quest to remap the function keys I'm afraid but may go some way to explaining the behaviour.

You could set up 'corners' to activate expose in System Preferences instead if that helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 27"12.2.1 Monterey.1phone 13, iwatch,ipad air
I just posted with the same problem.
I have changed the blank keys f5 f6 and f13-f19 for things I use a lot.
Trouble is remembering which key you set up for what:Smirk:
I am not sure what 'corners' does on Expose`to use those.
More on this please.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Go into Sys Prefs/Keyboard & Mouse/Keyboard Shortcuts and make changes - plenty to play with.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.