• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Cell Phones

C

chris041067

well, i am a loyal mac user and have been for years...and since mac users seem to have good taste in just about everything, i ask you this:

1)what cell phone and provider do you have?

2)are you happy with it, and what compliments/complaints do you have?

3)If you werent stuck in a contract with your provider, would you switch and to who?

The reason i ask these questions is because i have decided that its time for me to get a cell phone. I am in orange county, in college, and do not yet have one. yeah i know im a little behind here.

I have done some research and looking around and i think i will either go with verizon or cingular.
Cingular has good prices along with free stuff and decent coverage. however, i do hear that their customer service is horrible and they have a habit of overbilling. They also want a $150 deposit because i dont have a credit card.
Verizon has great coverage and good customer service, but their phones and plans seem to be more expensive.

Any advice here would be very helpful as I am in the dark when it comes to this subject. I find asking people with experience is much more helpful than looking at a companies brochure. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Look at coverage maps. Cell phones don't mean anything without ccoverage - it's all about the service, not the phone. For me, my AT&T has shown the most reliable coverage, but that's here in Florida

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
Since ur a mobile phone newbie, u really dont need a very advanced phone. Instead, try getting a network that has good service, whose customer service peeps can help you when u need help.

OP
C

chris041067

Strider said:
Since ur a mobile phone newbie, u really dont need a very advanced phone. Instead, try getting a network that has good service, whose customer service peeps can help you when u need help.

yeah thats what i was getting at...everyone has decent phones to choose from. i am after a good balance between price, and coverage/reliability/service.

can anyone in the orange county area tell me how their cell service has been? or i guess anywhere in the country...who have you had good experiences with?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Im in California, but San Diego, and I use AT&T wireless and since they were purchased by, I believe, Cingular, my coverage has been awesome! I love Sony Ericsson phones, so I usually stick with them since they work with my Mac and I always get Bluetooth for the same reason.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.