Internal DVD Writer

Reaction score
Hi,

my mom's MacBook has an internal CD writer but she wants to have an internal DVD writer. Is it possible to replace the drive at acceptable cost? She is also considering buying an external DVD writer (Macbook Air Superdrive) so the internal drive (if such a drive exists) shouldn't be much more expensive.

Thanks,
YellowOrange

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Hi,

my mom's MacBook has an internal CD writer but she wants to have an internal DVD writer. Is it possible to replace the drive at acceptable cost? She is also considering buying an external DVD writer (Macbook Air Superdrive) so the internal drive (if such a drive exists) shouldn't be much more expensive.

Thanks,
YellowOrange

Can't suggest or recommend anyone to perform the upgrade as I don't know where you're located. Though I assume Apple will do it at some cost.

You can do it yourself..... though it's not anywhere near as easy as a HDD or RAM upgrade.

In my opinion (for what it's worth) unless portability is a BIG issue, you'd be better off with an external drive for both the cost and convenience.

mrplow

Reaction score
Hey there... If she considers buying an external DVD-Writer that would be my choice to go. An internal DVD-Writer costs easily triple of the external one. But if she really wants an internal one and has the money, you should ask at you local apple store. There is a third possibility and the cheapest: buy the drive on E-Bay or an online store and build it in yourself... BUT BE CAREFUL this WILL void your warranty, so if you still have warranty on the MacBook, let apple do it!
But still the External one is cheaper and much faster!

OP
Y
Reaction score
Your arguments against choosing an internal DVD writer (warranty, cost and convenience) are convincing. :D I strongly doubt she wants to lose the warranty or spend that much more money. In terms of software support, is there any problem using a DVD writer other than the Macbook Air Superdrive? Can she buy any regular device that can be used for PCs or are drivers/software an issue to consider?

Reaction score
...Can she buy any regular device that can be used for PCs or are drivers/software an issue to consider?

I'm not quite sure of that but I don't see any reason why not... But only if she does NOT have a MacBook Air... Otherwise try to find some Drives on the Web which give you experiences of Mac User having done that...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP l iPhone l iPod
from what i heard apple doesn't put in upgrades to the cd-drive. that what i heard so I'm not positive thats the case. For you the external would be your best bet for your mom.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.