looking to upgrade

Reaction score
hi!

im a new mac user. that being said, i have been slowly learning that the mac community is a little nicer than the PC world. for that, i thank you.

i have an intel imac that i want to upgrade. it has the dvd/cd-r combo drive and i would like to upgrade it to burn dvds. can anyone tell me what superdrive i need to get? i am seeing a bunch of stuff made by pioneer and such but nothing to confirm that it will fit my mac. its an imac with the core 2 duo with the acrylic case. 17 inch screen. any help would be much appreciated.

thanks in advance for being such great people.

Mike

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome dopey to Mac Forums.

Pioneer are one of the top manufacturers world wide of optical drives, DVD recorders and players etc. Installed a DVR-115D 20X Dual Layer burner in my G4 and can recommend it heartily.

Have a look at sites such OWC and NewEgg for details of the model you need and then start shopping around. You sure need a DVD burner today.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Well, dopey, upgrading on a model like this will be difficult. Fast Mac offers a nice slot load drive but it's expensive and slow. I would recommend an external FireWire burner like this.
Why? Because taking apart the iMac is a chore and an internal burner will only burn at 8x while external burners work around 18x-20x.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.