Windows Security Ques.

Reaction score
I purchased a Macbook the other day so I could use it for my business but then I found out that the program I need only runs with Windows. I decided to go with Mac because of the low virus risk and since I might have to run Windows I'm afraid that would all change. Is it true? Will my Mac be vulnerable as if I have a PC?

Reaction score
If you use boot camp and split your drive, so half is for Mac and the other for PC, your Mac side will still be safe. The PC side though, is just like any other Windows machine, you'll need all the virus and spyware mumbo jumbo.

OP
S
Reaction score
If you use boot camp and split your drive, so half is for Mac and the other for PC, your Mac side will still be safe. The PC side though, is just like any other Windows machine, you'll need all the virus and spyware mumbo jumbo.

So will I need seperate spyware/virus protection for the Windows and for the MAC??? I'm so afraid if I add Windows my laptop will fail me. The whole point of getting MAC was to save myself the problems that come with PC. Where do I download the virus/spyware? The Windows section????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
No, you'll only need virus protection for Windows. You don't need to bother with installing an antivirus program on OS X.

I've had Windows installed on my Mac since day one and I have yet to experience any issues. All I did was install AVG antivirus and I was done with it. Nothing to it, really.

You can save yourself a lot of trouble if you simply follow some safety precautions when using Windows on your Mac. Just use the program that you need and not much of anything else. Also, use Firefox instead of Internet Explorer to cut the risk of adware/spyware. And don't download anything in Windows, save it for the OS X side, that way you can prevent getting any viruses.

Best method would be to run Windows side-by-side with OS X. That way you can do your normal stuff like browsing the web and checking your email in OS X, where you have a 0% chance of getting infected with something, and then using that sole Windows program via Parallels or VMWare Fusion. With Windows not doing anything besides running that one program you need, there's really no chance of getting infected with anything.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.