newbie has firewall woes

Reaction score
Hello,

I've just bought my first Mac today :) and am learning my way around. I can see that the firewall is on, but it's allowing all incoming connections. I've Googled how to configure the firewall, but the screenshots don't exactly match what I'm seeing on my screen:

When I click on Apple, >System Preferences, >Sharing,

under the Computer Name section, I do not see the Services/Firewall/Internet buttons. Is there another place where I need to go to access this?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.1 Core 2 Duo w/ 1GB Ram
Apple > System Pref > Security

The firewall tab is in there

OP
DreamingFox
Reaction score
Here's a screenshot (done the old-fashioned way, as I don't yet know how to do this on a Mac). Where am I supposed to find the firewall?

Sharing.jpg

Reaction score
It's not in the sharing tab, it's in the security tab. Go back to the main system preferences window (click "show all") and click on security.

BTW, Command+Shift+4 is the shortcut for taking a screen shot. You'll get cross hairs and you select the section of the screen to take a picture of.

OP
DreamingFox
Reaction score
Thanks. I've found it. (And thanks also for the tip on taking a screenshot.)

I've attached a picture that shows the instruction I followed (firewall2) - as you can see, it clearly shows clicking on "sharing" rather than "security", as you instruct (and which makes more sense).

I've attached another picture (firewall3) which shows different tabs (Services/Firewall/Internet) than I'm seeing in the security area (General/FileVault/Firewall), which is neither here nor there - only confusing.

In any event, under the firewall tab, I see 3 options, followed by a note that "Mac OS X normally determines which programs are allowed incoming connections. Select this option if you want to allow or block incoming connections for specific programs":
1) Allow all incoming connections
2) Allow only essential services
3) Set access for specific services and applications.

As a long-time user of the Windows-based ZoneAlarm firewall, but a Mac newbie, I am at a loss as to which of these options is the right one for me to choose. I have enabled steath mode, but failed the stealth test at grc.com, due to ping response.

I am used to having all incoming and outgoing connections blocked until I approve them, but again, not being familiar (yet) with my new Mac, I don't know how to proceed.

Will one of the above options prompt me in a manner that I am accustomed to, or am I in a position where I need to learn a whole new way of thinking about firewall operations?

Or should I be looking at a 3rd party program like BrickHouse?

firewall2.jpg

firewall3.jpg

Reaction score
Does the firewall settings drop to a file that I can use? I am using Hamachi VPN solution and if I want to use it with the firewall my only option is set each application that I use. Just wondering if the "Essential Services" button has a file on the system that I can use and copy it to the "Specific Services" button. Anyone know is the firewall has a file-based config?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.