• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Snapz Pro X and iMovie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP-2.5Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, GeForce 8600M GT with 512MB, 250GB SATA, 8X Superdrive
I recorded my mac desktop using snapz pro x and to publish that to my .mac account i created a project in imovie and used the share menu to publish to the .mac account. When i go to the link provided by imovie to watch the published movie, its just a black screen.

I published to youtube from imovie but it got rejected with the message

"could not convert video"

I also published to itunes from imovie and its the same...black screen but the time keeps moving.

The format of the movie is .mov.

What am i doing wrong?

This is my first macbook and i am really loving it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
What version of iMovie?

What format did you save it as from Snapz Pro?

Did you drag the video to the iMovie timeline?

Does the video play in iMovie?

OP
mojonandha
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP-2.5Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, GeForce 8600M GT with 512MB, 250GB SATA, 8X Superdrive
iMovie 08

i saved the movie form snapz pro as .mov (or it automatically saved the movie as .mov)

Yes i dragged the video into iMovie Timeline.

yes the Video plays fine in iMovie.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I suggest exporting the video from iMovie using "Share-->Export Using QuickTime...". See my iMovie Export Guide for more info.

What we want to discover is if you can export to a local file with expected results.

I also explain exporting for YouTube in another guide.

Reaction score
I am having the same problem. I recorded a video using SnapZ pro X, and I created a movie in imovie. It plays fine in iMovie. When I export to YouTube, I get a black screen. I even exported it as a quicktime movie, which plays fine. But if I upload the quicktime movie to youtube, I get a black screen. I even tried putting the movie in between two still clips. I uploaded that to You tube and the two clips play, but the movie doesn't show, it just skips over the movie to the 2nd clip.

Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I suggest you send the Snapz Pro company this problem. I sent another problem and they did respond, although I didn't like their answer for my issue.

Reaction score
Okay, I got it to work. You have to start over in Snapz Pro X. When you save the file, change the video compression from the default to something else. I used Mpeg 4. If you use the default, iMovie sees it as protected content and won't export it. If you change it, it will export! Yay!~:D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.