Oops, I've done something to my Downloads stack I think...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2.5GHz, 2Gb RAM, 250Gb HDD, 512Mb VRAM
Hello.

I might be going mad, but there are no other Macs in my house (yet) to compare it to, so bear with me.

I accidentally deleted my 'downloads' stack from the dock a few days ago. I re-dragged it from Finder onto the dock and thought everything was hunky-dory again, but I'm not sure it's working the same way.

If I download a compressed file archive (say, a ZIP archive) and unzip it, should that unzipped folder ordinarily appear in the 'downloads' stack (as I believe happened before I screwed it up)? Or should I have to open the Downloads folder in Finder to see it (as it is now)?

If someone could (a) answer my question, and if needed (b) tell me how to 'fix' it, I'd be very much obliged. :)

Thanks!

Al.

PS. I'm running Leopard on a 15" 2.5 2008 MBP in case it's relevant.

Reaction score
If you right click on the downloads folder in the dock there are different options you can pick from as to how the stack behaves. If you choose "display as stack" which is what I think it is set to when you first get your Mac the newest file will be at the bottom of the stack. I think that's what you mean.

You can play with the different options to find what works best for you.

OP
alexknibb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks very much for the response! :D

I could well be going mad. Right, I'll try and clarify what I'm gibbering on about:

I've downloaded two ZIP archives from the Underworldlive website (that's Underworld, the band), each consisting of an audio track and a number of picture files.

One is showing up on the stack as BOTH a zip archive AND (since I've unzipped it) a standard folder. The other one, on the other hand, is ONLY showing on the dock as a zip archive, even though I've also unzipped it.

In the finder window they both show up as BOTH zip archives and unzipped folders.

i'll investigate it further, but if anyone happens to know what I did differently and can tell me before I redownload them, I'd be much obliged. :)

Reaction score
In the stack at the very top does it say "1 more in Finder"? (or any other number :)

If you have your stack set to display as folder than any extra new files that won't fit in the stack will not be displayed in the fan. But if you have it set to display as a stack, then all extra files will be at the bottom of the stack.

I hope that makes a little sense. It's kind of hard to explain.

OP
alexknibb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In the stack at the very top does it say "1 more in Finder"? (or any other number :)

If you have your stack set to display as folder than any extra new files that won't fit in the stack will not be displayed in the fan. But if you have it set to display as a stack, then all extra files will be at the bottom of the stack.

I hope that makes a little sense. It's kind of hard to explain.

Thanks for the suggestion...

I have it set to display as stack, not folder. Before, when I unpacked a file, the unpacked folder would display at the BOTTOM of the stack, with the packed file just above it.

It's driving me mad. I unpack something I've downloaded and THEN I have to open the finder window to see them.

Please, someone sort out my madness and tell me if this is what happens normally on a fresh Leopard, or only if you've deleted your Downloads stack then re-created it... :(

Reaction score
Hi,

If you mean what I THINK you mean, you have it set to set up like so, right click on the stack on the Dock, go right to the top, change it to 'sort by modified', open the zip or whatever you want and it'll appear as the closest to the dock, as per the image I lovingly crafted just for you :p

dosebl9.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.