want an ibook but have questions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" iBook G4
hi,

well i want a ibook but at the mo use a pc,

my main concern is that i won't be able to use say word files on the pc and open them up on the ibook, without having virtual pc..?

would i have to have mac versions of photoshop etc to work on it too?

hope u can help thanks

also are there any peeps who use to use apc but changed to mac, how did u find it?

Reaction score
You can use Word files from a PC on a Mac, I make most of my Word documents on my PC at home and I can still use them on the Macs at school, save them then open them back up on my PC at home.

I don't know about Photoshop, I have some software that includes both the Mac/Windows version on the same CD, but I have never owned a copy of photoshop, too expensive for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
You can get Office for mac (student price is like 120 or 150), you can use openoffice which is free, you can use AppleWorks or you can use TextEdit (built into OS X) to work with word documents.

You will need to get a new version of Photoshop to install onto your mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Basically nearly any program that is used on a pc has a mac counterpart.

For Office 2003/XP/2000 under windows you have Office 2004/X on the mac.
Alternatives are also available.

But you can't (usually) take a pc program, and install it under Mac OSX.

There are exceptions where manufacturers put both versions on the install disks (Warcraft III, the strategy game is a so called hybrid) but normally you'll need a seperate version.

I

i love macs

the only prob with making a word doc on a mac then opening it up later on a pc is that it can change a little bit. ie it might open up and have a different font. not that big a deal really

photoshop will cost more for a mac

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" iBook G4
o rite then. if i bought a standard ibook then what office programs would be installed on it, eg word, excel, publisher, powerpoint?...

are these a similaly layout to microsoft office?.... are they easy to use?

also if an ibook has these similer programs installed, are all files saved files on a mac compatible on a pc?

sorry for all th e questions but i not found many sites that clearly state these things

Reaction score
stickuto said:
o rite then. if i bought a standard ibook then what office programs would be installed on it, eg word, excel, publisher, powerpoint?...
It will come with a trial version of those but you will still have to buy the full version of office if you want it.

There are minor differences between PC version and Mac version from what I have noticed, nothing that is so different that you can't figure it out easily.

stickuto said:
also if an ibook has these similer programs installed, are all files saved files on a mac compatible on a pc?
I am not sure what you are asking here, there is no real difference between a Mac word document and a PC word document, they are all word documents.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook
And you could always buy Photoshop Elements 3.0 for the Mac for just $99 USD if you didn't want to spend the $699+ for the regular Photoshop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
"also if an ibook has these similer programs installed, are all files saved files on a mac compatible on a pc?"

Yes they are.

"Originally Posted by stickuto

o rite then. if i bought a standard ibook then what office programs would be installed on it, eg word, excel, publisher, powerpoint?..."

No Microsoft Office programs, but instead it will come with Appleworks, which is apple's office suite.

Appleworks is ok for basic stuff (and it can edit and save Microsoft Office documents) but Office is better.

T

tariq

i love macs said:
the only prob with making a word doc on a mac then opening it up later on a pc is that it can change a little bit. ie it might open up and have a different font. not that big a deal really

photoshop will cost more for a mac

no...photoshop for the mac is the same price as the windows version

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" iBook G4
o rite then. if i bought a standard ibook then what office programs would be installed on it, eg word, excel, publisher, powerpoint?..."

No Microsoft Office programs, but instead it will come with Appleworks, which is apple's office suite.

Appleworks is ok for basic stuff (and it can edit and save Microsoft Office documents) but Office is better."

yea thats what i wanted to now, so a standard ibook will have appleworks installed, is this a trial version or the full version?
also what program are with apple works?

thanks

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" iBook G4
ok,

i shall,

thought some of u may just be able to help me as i not found the apple sit ethat useful and as most of u may own a ibook i thought u may just be able to help me out.

thanks for those who did

T

tariq

to answer your other question, ibooks come with the full version of appleworks. the invidual apps and features of appleworks can be found at the above uri

I

i love macs

tariq said:
no...photoshop for the mac is the same price as the windows version

not here its not. but in america or where ever your from that may be different i admit

I

i love macs

ok i take it back. you can get photoshop for the same price here if you order it directly. but if you go into a computer shop it is ussually more expensive

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.