iPhone Warranty

Reaction score
Im just curious,

I hear a lot of people say they have JailBroken there iphone. What exactly is this? Is this the same thing as Sim Unlocking an iPhone or different?

Does "jailbraking" or Sim Unlocking Void the apple warranty on an iphone?

Are these two activities considered illegal or are they accepted?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
1. Not sure
2. Yes, you will void the warranty
3. See below - thanks Kash

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Jailbreaking is the name of the process that allows for reading and writing to the memory of the iPhone. This essentially gives you access to do such things as installing third party apps and browsing the directory structure of the iPhone. SIM unlocking is completely different. That only allows you to use unofficial SIM cards in the phone, and is usually much more invasive than jailbreaking; a jailbreak can be wiped with a restore, unlocking cannot, and upgrading the firmware usually will brick a device if it is unlocked, but not if it is jailbroken.

Like bry said, jailbreaking DOES void the warranty. However, I want to reiterate that a restore will completely wipe a jailbreak, so if you need repair done and you can still access the iPhone, it would be wise to restore it prior to getting it serviced.

No, neither of the above two activities are inherently illegal, they simply violate the iPhone's EULA. However, rule #4 of Mac-Forums prevents us from going into details about jailbreaking and unlocking.

OP
I
Reaction score
Thanks for that guys, very helpfull.

I dont want to overstep the mark, but is it possible to wipe a sim unlock if anything does happen to the phone, like backing up the original firmware and flashing it back if anything does ever happen?

The problem is I want an iphone, But Its only available on O2 In the UK and Im on orange which is why im pondering around the idea.

Any idea if there are any plans in the near future for an official iPhone on the orange network?

If I get an Ipod touch, Will it make me crave an iPhone even more?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Yes, the process is called virginizing the phone.

OP
I
Reaction score
I have heard rumors of a new 3G Iphone in the works to be released this year, so im not going to get an iPhone till then. Hopefully iPhone will be released on orange by then, but im not going to hold my breath.

Its coming down to getting a Nokia N95, or Cracking an iPhone from ebay.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.