Grey Boxes on Menu Items (Not Accessibility)

Reaction score
I really hope this isn't a repeat question that has been asked a million times. I did use the search but I came up empty. Maybe I didn't word it correctly?

Either way, I'm having grey boxes show up on all my menu items in all the programs I use. It seems to have started since the last graphic update but that's not to say I may not have noticed the day before or something. I have attached a picture of exactly what I'm talking about.

I have a new Mac Pro - 2x3 Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 800MHz, 4GB of Ram, Dual Displays - in case you needed to know the specs.

My first kick at it is the video card, but nothing else seems to be messing up too much. Do any of you have any ideas?

Thanks very much! I'm sorry my first post on this site is a tech support question.

greyboxes.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
You don't have ShapeShifter or anything like that installed? It looks like some kind of theming/drawing problem. It does that on EVERY app?

OP
S
Reaction score
No, I do not have "ShapeShifter" installed, I'm not even sure what that program is :)

When I say every app, I mean the entire adobe suite and the Microsoft Office 2008 suite. As for the other programs, I haven't really had much time to test as I don't really use anything other Firefox, CS3 Suite, Office Suite and Cocktail.

It's also only in certain windows. For instance in Photoshop, when I go to "File, Open" everything looks fine. As soon as I use "File, New' and the properties box opens, that's when I see the issues.

This all seems very strange...

Reaction score
Do you ever shut down your mac? I get a lot of problems with my Dock not displaying properly sometimes when I've left my computer on for a while.

Anyway, it's worth a try rebooting.

OP
S
Reaction score
I shut my Mac down almost every night before I head home from work. But thank you for trying :)

I was really hoping this was a simple problem to solve :(

Reaction score
Anil

You can turn off voice over under universal Access.
I hope that your problem solved....

Anil,
Singapore:(

Reaction score
The more I use CS3 with my new Mac with Leopard I've been finding lots of bugs. Though you say it happens with Office too, so maybe it's a Leopard issue. Hopefully things will get better with the next update.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
You can turn off voice over under universal Access.
I hope that your problem solved....

Anil,
Singapore:(

It's not VoiceOver, you can see the problem in his screenshots.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks knightlie :)

So does anyone else happen to have any suggestions? I'm starting to go a little bit crazy here!

OP
S
Reaction score
And I have officially tried all things in the help thread and it still didn't help :(

I'm starting to think I might have really messed something up!

Does anyone know if there is a utility you can download that will clean print drivers from your machine?

Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.