zero out Mac without install disc? Help please

Reaction score
OK So I was recently laid-off and I need to zero out my disc, but I'd rather not go digging around my old office looking for the start up disc, is there anyway to zero out the macbook pro (os 10.4) w/out the install disc? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
No. To zero out the HDD, you'll need the Install disk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
It probably would for a partition, but not the whole HDD. How are you going to run software from a HDD as you are erasing the HDD?

M

MacHeadCase

Why would you want to erase the hard drive and not reinstall the operating system ? :Confused:

OP
G
Reaction score
So I ended up using my old powerbook g4, and targeted my office laptop's macbook pro, launched the macbook pro as a target disc and used disc utility from the g4 to zero out, worked fine. I didn't need to reinstall the os, b/c it was my company's laptop and I needed to zero it out as it was in the beginning. Remove programs like photoshop and sorts etc...

OP
G
Reaction score
oh by the way has anybody used dban before I was about to use it before I found out about target disc....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.