WD Raptor

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
I current have a 160 GB Internal HD(7200 RPM)

I'd like to get a 10,000 RPM HD(WD Raptor).

They are 80 GB, 10,000 RPM, and 249.99(USD)

If I were to order this, and keep the 160 GB should I :

1. Use the raptor as the main HD(Put *just* the os on this) and use the 160 GB for everything else.
2. Use 160 GB as main HD(put *just* the os on this) and use the raptor for everything else

Which setup is better?

Also - based on ( http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=65 )
(See Environmental) Can any of you tell me how loud this HD would be?

The 160 GB Maxtors that Apple puts in the G5's are rather..."scratchy"

*Confused*

M

macperson2

Hi,

Confusing.... As to why would would spend that much on an 80GB drive for your system files. You don't need 10,000 RPM for your system. I would leave your 160 GB as is for your system drive, since it is already there. Then I would buy another 160GB or larger drive at 7200RPM with 8MB Buffer. If you think you need the 10,000RPM drive then buy it. I really think the difference in RPM is not that significant. Depends on your application. Maxtor is loud. You might consider a Western Digital drive which are very quiet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
I'm not sure either if the little gain in performance is worth the high price, noise increase and considerably more heat.
7200rpm drives getting quite warm already, a 10000rpm drive get's pretty hot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4Ghz Black 4GB;iPod Touch 8GB;iPod mini 4GB silver;Logitech MX1000;
you even get 16 mb buffer in maxtors

M

macgadget

This is a no brainer. Look, I have a WD Raptor in my PM QS02. Run wonderful, little heat, very low noise, fast access times, and believe it or not, the 10k spindle is not loud, and whinny like old Altas's, or the like.

I'd get a Raptor for your boot drive, and what ever 160GB ones you want for the others.

Trust me, the Raptor is an incredible performer. Like 10k SCSI performace, but without the noise, and heat.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
Id say use the 160 gb as the external, and the 80 for the os and apps, only cause more space on that external, I assume youll just work from it, which is ok with drives that big, the os will write swap or virtual memory files to the external hd and use the external as a scratch disk cause you work from it, more space is better, 160 gb is a lot and wont fill up with virtual memory temp files,so itll stay running smoothly and youll avoid disk corruption, and 7200 rpms is fine.

Reaction score
ApplejustWorks said:
I current have a 160 GB Internal HD(7200 RPM)

I'd like to get a 10,000 RPM HD(WD Raptor).

They are 80 GB, 10,000 RPM, and 249.99(USD)

If I were to order this, and keep the 160 GB should I :

1. Use the raptor as the main HD(Put *just* the os on this) and use the 160 GB for everything else.
2. Use 160 GB as main HD(put *just* the os on this) and use the raptor for everything else

Which setup is better?

Also - based on ( http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=65 )
(See Environmental) Can any of you tell me how loud this HD would be?

The 160 GB Maxtors that Apple puts in the G5's are rather..."scratchy"

*Confused*

First off the Western Digital 10K Raptor is either a 36 gig or a 74 gig unless they just came out with a new model.

Check http://www.newegg.com for a better price. They have the 74 gig 10K Raptor oem for $179 and the box kit for $225. New Egg is a very good and dependable company with great prices, service, return policy. I have been dealing with them for a long time.

As to how to install it...to get the best results you really need to make it the boot drive with your OS and programs, much quicker access that way. With the way the Power Mac G5 is laid out, it is a very simple plug and play type of thing with the only work the reinstalling of the OS and programs. Put all the programs that you normally use on the Raptor for faster access and those programs that you seldom use on the other drive along with your data and stuff like pictures and music. When booting and loading programs you will see an increase in speed.

As for noise and heat, that is so much bs. The Raptor is not a bit noiser than the Maxtor that comes with the G5 nor does it run hotter. I have run 2 Raptors together on another computer and they were very quiet. My Power Mac G5 with the Maxtor 160 and the Raptor 74 is just a little bit louder than my wifes iMac G5. Jeez if you want noise you should hear my 64 bit gamer, it has 3 high speed fans and a 300 gallon an hour water pump...

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
Well..After much research(and a few unexpected events) I learned two things.

1. I won't be getting a new HD for my Mac, because I just bought an iBook and iMac...
2. The 160 GB HD that Apple Puts in the G5's is a Maxtor, and is KNOWN for its noise, etc. The 250 GB HD that Apple Puts in the G5's is a Western Digital, and is KNOWN for its quiteness...

Note: I learned this through research, and the fact that I ordered a G5 with a 160 GB, and my friend ordered a G5 with 250

So...Just in case anyone was wondering...there it is!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.