• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Popcorn or Toast? MactheRipper or HandBrake?

Reaction score
I'm currently using HandBrake, but know MactheRipper is extremely popular....which do you prefer? and can MactheRipper rip things faster??

Also...I'm looking to purchase Popcorn or Toast. I need something that will burn full length movies quicker than 10 hours (which is what iDVD has been producing for me).

What is the difference between Popcorn and Toast? What can 1 do that the other can't? Tried doing some research but it all seems the same to me.... which of these do you prefer?

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook (early 2006): 1.83 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, OSX Leopard and iPod 5th Gen 30GB
Handbrake's totally the way forward :D there's nothing like it comparable on the market. I think from looking at other threads on here there's a lot of handbrake fans ^^

dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac|MacBook
are you making backup movies from an existing dvd movie?

i use mactheripper to rip the movie, then DVD2one to burn it.

OP
R
Reaction score
Yes....I'm making copies of things that we have. So I have HandBrake for ripping, but iDVD is sucking and taking way too long to burn a disc (10-12 hours)

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks for the link HeyYo, ill check it

On amazon i was reading user reviews of Popcorn and they didn't seem too hot.....THOUGH Toast 9 is expensive and seems to have WAAAAY more features than i need...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.