Please URGENT help Needed

J

Jokerboy

THis is the problem

At my highschool we have Ibook laptops running OS X. The thing is my little sister also has one and wanted to change her login name and pass. After all was said and done she logged out and tryed to log back in but now no matter whether she types the old login and pass or the new one it wont let her login. It wouldnt be so bad but she has a big project due on monday that was on the computer. I have tryed every combination using possible passwords and usernames but none work. Pease does anyone know a way around, such as a wy to login in using a "safe mode" so that we can atleast get the project off?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I love student discount (sig)
I read if you have the system disk, you can boot from that and reset the password from in there.

Answer:

Insert your Mac OS X installation CD into your computer's CD drive.

Restart your computer.

While your computer starts, hold down the C key .

From the Installer menu, select Reset Password.

Select the hard drive that contains the password you want to reset.

From the Select a User of This Volume to Reset Their Password drop-down list, select the user account.

In the Enter a New Password For This User text box, type a new password.

In the Reenter the New Password For This User text box, type the new password again.

Click the Save button.

Click OK.

Close all open windows.
Restart your computer.

Hold down the Option key while your computer restarts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
If you don't have the install cd and you have another computer with firewire, you can use the "Target Mode" feature.

To transfer files using FireWire:
1. Shut down the first computer (sister's computer) and leave the second computer on.

2. Connect the two computers using a 6-pin to 6-pin FireWire cable. (If both computers have higher-speed FireWire 800 ports in addition to the standard FireWire 400 ports, you can use a 9-pin to 9-pin cable with the FireWire 800 ports to transfer data at higher speeds.)

3. Start up the first computer while holding down the T key.

A disk icon for the first computer appears on the desktop on the second computer. Drag files to and from the disk to transfer them.

4. When you finish, eject the first computer's disk by dragging its icon to the Trash.

5. Push the power button on the first computer to shut it down and disconnect the FireWire cable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
BTW that tip will only work with 2 macs...(pc's can't read the HFS+ file format natively)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.