OS X Problem

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm pretty new to macs, but got my friends old Powerbook G4. I wanted to reformat it and had to buy the discs for the OS (as the apple store didn't have what I needed). The guy told me it was the first G4 that was made (around late 2002/early 2003) and that I would need Panther 10.3. Currently it has 10.2.8 loaded on it. He told me to look on ebay and I bought Panther 10.3.7. When I try to install it, it says "Bundled software cannot be installed on this machine." Does anybody know why this is the case or what I can do/which OS I can get to make this work? The only visible requirements for Panther to me I meet (I have 768mb ram). Any help I would GREATLY appreciate! :D

OP
M
Reaction score
So I THINK it is because I need the retail discs, and that is NOT what I have. If this is so, what OS do you recommend upgrading to that this will support? It says A1025 on the back and is the first Powerbook G4 Titanium.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Yes... your problem is that you got discs bundled for a specific computer.

10.3 is a good OS for the PowerBook G4 (I use it myself still on mine), but compatible software is getting harder to find. Most software that gets updated require 10.4 or better. Since you are just getting started with Macs, I'd recommend going straight to Tiger so you have less trouble finding what you need. Your laptop is compatible with Tiger according to Apple's own page, so be sure to buy a retail version this time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Make sure you buy the full retail install discs, which are black colored and not the grey model specific only System, Restore discs. Tiger would be the go and suggest 1GB RAM .

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.