TOAST burning

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 867 Mhz 768 MB Ram
I have the strangest problem w/ my version of TOAST (v. 8 Platinum). Whenever I want to burn a DVD or export the video to another format, it seems to take a crazy long time. Burning a DVD for instance I can't get it to go any faster than realtime....I've checked the preference settings for burning speed and I have it set at either 8X or 16X.....but it's definetly not performing at those speeds.....any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Have you updated to version 8.0.3?

Have a 20X DL burner and find best results from leaving at the default setting of 'best'. Of course older Macs like ours will take longer to burn DVD's - that is the nature of computers getting faster and faster.

The quality of your media plays a big part also. Use Verbatim and never had a failure.

Reaction score
I am having a similar problem with my Toast (ver 7). I just tried using it for the first time this past weekend and I started the burn process last night at 10:00pm and it's now 9:00am and the burn process is under 50% complete! I just bought a Lacie d2 DVD-RW drive that is, supposedly, extremely fast because my DVD-Rom drive in my iMac G5 is not working properly. Any suggestions? I am assuming that I should upgrade Toast versions, but is that really going to make that big of a difference? The movie I'm trying to burn is 1h47min long.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Is it the encoding process of the burning process?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
You might wish to try out SimplyBurns. This is a freeware burner and it works very well. I have used it to burn a fair number of DVDs (on my MBP, under Leopard) and it works very well, and reasonably quickly. Since it is free, you have little to lose by trying it.

Reaction score
Ah, let me clarify, it is still encoding and it's 24 hours later!! It's almost funny at this point. It's about 98% of the way encoded. I had no clue that it would take this long to encode a DVD.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
How much memory and what type of system do you have?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2 GHz Core Duo ! GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
That is very unusual shouldn't take more than 1 to 2 hrs at most

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.