Upgrading from Mac OS X 2.8, HELP!

Reaction score
My mum currently has a e mac she purchased about 4 years ago. Her operating system Mac OS X 2.8. It had stopped the automatic upgrade which i know is 5 something now. I realize the upgrades are free but cant seem to find one for 3.0. I have read that this one needs to be purchased, is this right?If not where do i find it? Thanks very much in advance

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, Ndtw.

Upgrades aren't free. Updates are.

The difference between the two is this :

- upgrades would be 10.2.x to 10.4.x as an example
- updates are 10.2.4 to 10.2.8, as an example.

So, to go from 10.2.x (OS X Jaguar) to 10.5.x (OS X Leopard), you will need to buy the newer OS version.

OP
N
Reaction score
Thanks for info, sorry, I missworded that.So if just want the basic update that should be free then? Because, basically I cant find anywhere on the apple site where Mac OS X 3.0 is offered, and obviously i cant proceed with the next update before that one has been applied. Iam not interested in jaguar or leopard at this time. I am mainly a PC user so I am not quite as familiar with the mac
thanks again

M

MacHeadCase

I'll try to be as clear as possible, here.

Your mom has 10.2.8 installed. 10.2.8 is Jaguar. 10.2.8 was the last update for Jaguar i.e. you won't find 10.2.9, for example.

If she wants to upgrade to a newer OS X version, she'll have to go with either 10.3.x, 10.4.x or 10.5.x but since you say you are not interested in 10.5.x, this leaves 10.3.x or 10.4.x.

If she wants to upgrade to 10.3 or 10.4, she will have to buy the full retail install disk and will have to go to eBay or maybe Amazon.com (used copies) for 10.3 (OS X Panther) or 10.4 (OS X Tiger), Apple doesn't have them anymore.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As our delightful moderator advises, look for Tiger. Make sure your Mum buys the full retail install DVD/CD's which are always black colored and do NOT buy the grey model specific System Restore discs which will only work on the model they were released with.

The eMac will handle Tiger quite nicely, especially if the memory is boosted up to 1GB, and 2GB if it is a 1.25GHz or later model.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.