Can someone give me some info?

M

maltesej

I have had my Mac from a few months now. I am a definite Windows Power user and would love to be one on the Mac. I have a few questions?

What is the name of osX's shell?

What is carbon?

What do you call all the different extensions for macOS( tgz,sit,etc..)

Why are there so many extensions? Is there a program that is used to open each? and now you dont need one because osX does them all?

What are the different types of file systems for macOS, what ist he benefit of each? I am using osX Journaled I think?

:mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
The shell is called Darwin, finder > applications > utilites > terminal.
Carbon is a name for a section of the OS including Perl File system is largely self maintaining

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I believe the default shell is tcsh (trusted c shell). I think the unix kernel is call Darwin. When you run the terminal application, it creates a graphical window to the shell environment.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Or you can use the link to look through the search list of other sites on file extensions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
OS X inherited linux extensions also, so that's why we have so many. We can uncompress pretty much any file out there :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.