Okay to Mix RAM Types?

Reaction score
Hey,

I own a June 2007 model MBP, purchased in September - 2.2 ghz, 2GB, running Leopard. I'm considering a ram upgrade to help speed things up a tad, and I was wondering if there are any negative effects to mixing RAM types. Since I have 1x2 stock, I would replace one stick with a 2gb, giving me 3gb total. (Vista doesn't recognize 4 so I hear, and and more in Leopard would be a waste.)

So would there be any issues with running 1 stick of stock ram and one new one? I'm specifically looking at the Kingston 2gb stick. (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134370)

I've done a few searches, but haven't found anything relevant.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
The system will run at the slowest ram speed so a faster stick of ram will revert to the same as the slowest.

OP
G
Reaction score
My stock ram and the stick I'm looking at are both DDR2 667, so I'm assuming that the difference isn't in speed but in capacity. Would the effects of the extra gig be negligible if it's the same speed, and should I then look to replace all the ram with a faster model?

Thanks for the help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, 17" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook, iPhone 3G, iPhone 4, AppleTV2 (x2), iPad1
It will work, but it will not be optimal. RAM always works more efficiently when it's installed in matched identical modules (sticks). I'm not following why having more than 3 GB in Leopard would be a waste though. I'm running 4GB in my MacBook and it runs exceptionally well.

It's true that Vista (an XP for that matter) will only see a max of 3.5GB, but this is only the case for the 32-bit versions. The 64 bit versions will indeed see 4GB +. Leopard is a 64-bit OS and doesn't have the 3.5GB limitation.

Upgrading my MacBook to 4GB from the stock 2GB cost me a whopping $125 and took me probably 10 minutes. Crucial is your friend. My philosophy over the 17 years I've been working on computers is to put in as much RAM as you can afford and max out the systems whenever possible.

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks for the info.
As for the Leopard issue, I don't do much multi-tasking other then iTunes, Firefox, and Word, so spending another $50 wouldn't really be justified. I might pick up another matching 2gb stick after giving my soon-to-be-shipped one a test drive, so we'll see.

Thanks again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.