USB PCI card

T

thefisherman

Hi!

I recently bought a belkin USB PCI card (2.0) to speed up printing, since i have a G4 quicksilver 800Mhz, which has 1.0 standard built in.

I installed the card and looked at the System Profiler.

I saw a bunch of USB ports, together with the new one, but the HP Laserjet 1015, which i connected to this new card, turns up at a USB port, which can do 12mb/sec. Though it is connected to the fast USB, which is also displayed there. According to the System Profiler, it can do 480 mb/sec, but apparently nothing is connected to it, the Profiler says the printer is connected to a standard (slow) port.

?

Does anyone know anything about this?

Thanks in advance

thefisherman

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
I presume that the printer only supports USB 1.1. Even if you have USB 2.0, if you connect a USB 1.1 device it will connect with USB 1.1 speed.
Everything's fine with your card.

Anyway, 12Mb/s is more than fast enough for any printer.

OP
T

thefisherman

Printer

Actually, the printer supports 2.0 usb. It's just that osx (Panther 10.3.5) says it's connected to a 'slow' port, when it's actually connected to the new card.

The speed (12mb/sec) is the slow card, osx says the fast card can do 480mb/sec, in mbit i take.

So there should be a performance increase should the printer be connected to this high speed port right?

My question is: why does osx think the printer is connected to a usb port where the printer is actually not connected to?

Thefisherman

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.