iPod use on multiple computers.

Reaction score
I am having some difficulty with syncing an Ipod shuffle to multiple computers. I want to connect the Ipod to a Mini Mac and a laptop running windows XP.
I have Itunes on both computers. On the windows based computer I already use an Ipod Classic. I just bought the MAC a couple of months ago and I'm still learning how to use and get around in it. Any help in this department would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
black macbook OSX v10.5.8, 2.2 Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB RAM
i think (happy to be corrected here) that the shuffle will only sync with pne itunes at a time.... at least that what mine says when i 've plugged it on 2 different macs.
HTH

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 15" 2.4 MBP  iPod Classic 80 GB, Silver
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104011

Read that post. I'm sure it answers most of your questions. And I'll quickly answer your main one. No, you can't have 2 synced libraries on any iPod. It isn't how it works. Syncing makes it exactly like it is on the original. If you were to sync colors of your shirt from a color wheel, you can't have both Exactly Blue, and Exactly Yellow. Ya know? Horrible analogy, but whatever.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
I have a Mac and a PC w/ XP. Both have iTunes registered to the same account. I am able to plug my Shuffle into either one and load it with music. I believe there are a couple catches you have to be aware of.

You can't load an iPod from a shared library on another computer. Shared libraries are only for streaming music from one computer to another. The music downloaded to the ipod has to come from the computer it's plugged in to. If you want the libraries on both machines to be identical, you'll have to keep up with that manually.

I don't think I can partially fill an ipod on one machine, then connect it to the other and add some more music. It all has to come from the same machine. If you switch machines, you have to reload the ipod completely from scratch.

Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about this. My wife is out of town with her Shuffle, so I can't verify it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 15" 2.4 MBP  iPod Classic 80 GB, Silver
As long as your iPod is on Manual update, you can select songs from any library/computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
black macbook OSX v10.5.8, 2.2 Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB RAM
As long as your iPod is on Manual update, you can select songs from any library/computer.

correct. i've loaded music to my ipod photo from my itunes at work and from my i tunes at home from my macbook and from my boyfriend's macbook, all on manage manually-not syncing!
However the shuffle won't sync (manual or otherwise) on two different itunes (though i've not tried it with two identical itunes for which i am owner of the account, that may work...dunno)
hth

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.