Sofware Updates messed things up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac osx 10.4.11 Powerbook G4
Just over a week ago i was sent 2 updates...a security update and fixes for 10.4.11....but something strange happened..Only the security update installed and the other one showed warning signs saying it couldnt be installed and it crashed...or something like that anyway. However,the point i'm trying to make here is that after that some of my applications won't start...Safari,mail,Itunes and ichat...the rest are ok..well just so happens they are the ones i don't use. I can't get my head around the fact that i'm being sent fixes...that are doing the opposite. I'm using camino for browsing at the moment and i got no itunes which i use all the time. Any ideas anyone?:Confused:
Ps This is my first post and by the looks of things won't be my last either lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to Mac Forums.

What do you mean 'sent'? Presume you mean you went to Software Update and downloaded them? Pop your Tiger install DVD into the optical drive, boot holding down 'C' and go to Utilities>Disk Utility>select startup and run Repair Disk.

If this works okay, then run Repair Permissions a couple of times. If you still have problems you may have to do a clean install.

OP
truckertaff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac osx 10.4.11 Powerbook G4
Thanx Harry..nice to meet you :) I havent actually done anything yet about your suggestions...i'm wondering if i do a clean install whether i'll need alot of space on my hard drive..which is nearly full...and also will i lose stuff...not everything is backed up. Also i been wondering if the next updates will resolve the issue..i'm pretty sure it wasnt just me that was sent a load of rubbish...i'm really annoyed and will be reluctant to update any more. Just one other thing..i ain't that technically minded and will probably make things worse..duh! lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If it aint backed up you will lose it on an install when everything, everything, on the drive is wiped. If your HDD is 'nearly full' this could be the problem as drives need 20% free to operate at their peek. You do need to check the drive to make sure it is operating correctly.

If it is just full, get a larger HDD and use the current drive in a Firewire box as an external and do your backing up on that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.