wireless router help..

D

daveo

hello.
i just ordered a 12'' ibook and i was asked if i need the airport express (which i do) however, is there anyother brands which are cheaper and will work with the ibook.
Iam using optus cable
Iam in Australia

Thankyou.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
You can use an external USB wifi device (i.e. a little dongle that plugs into the side of your book)

But that solution is a) not as elegant as an internal solution and b) will not have as good reception as the internal option that utilises the antenna built around the screen casing.

Unfortunately the apple specification for their internal slots is non-standard which means that only apple makes the required cards!

OP
T

tariq

are you talking about a wireless card or router?

wireless card
get apple's aiport extreme card

router
you can buy any third party wireless router (LinkSys, D-Link, USRobotics, SMC, etc.) and it'll work fine with you mac.

OP
D

daveo

i have the card just need to no model numbers of wireless routers that work with the ibook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
any 802.11b or g router will work with the extreme

OP
T

tariq

My recommendation is the Linksys WRT54G wireless router, less than $100, and a very relaible router. Even firmware upgradable to allow for greater reception range, among other things.

OP
D

daveo

thankyou for you help
is the Linksys just as good signal as the airport express?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Oh sorry I missunderstood!

(should read more carefully)

The airport express can also be used to stream music from your iBook to your stereo. I.e. you plug it into the wall, one cable goes to your dsl connection, the other optical or normal audio cable plugs into your speakers / Hifi system.

Then you can control your music from your iBook.

Apart from that performance and signal should be equal on both, if not better on the linksys (which has a larger antenna inside)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.