12inch or 15inch?

V

vii_haven

I'm thinking of getting a powerbook, but i can't decide on whether the 12 or 15 inch. 12 has maximum portability but i'm afraid the screen's not big enough esp for long usage times..what are your opinions?

OP
L

ldj

I have 17", and i recomend u'd go with 15". The 15" model is still portable and thinner then the 12" and plus its widescreen which is always an advantage.

OP
M

maltesej

vii_haven said:
I'm thinking of getting a powerbook, but i can't decide on whether the 12 or 15 inch. 12 has maximum portability but i'm afraid the screen's not big enough esp for long usage times..what are your opinions?

Dude, get the 15" especially if you are a student. If not then the 12 is nice and cheaper. I got the 15" 1.33 and then did a memory upgrade to 768. I think its pretty fast, but i want to put in a larger and faster rpm drive, plus do a memory upgrade to 1 gb. :mac:

OP
C

Cloudane

I had the same worries but have never regretted the 12" screen size. I honestly don't notice it, and much prefer the cute size.

OP
S

SamR

I was torn over the same question but it was 14" ibook or 12" powerbook with screen size being the real determining factor. Luckily I came across a great deal at the store around here and got the 15" powerbook for the same price as the 12". Most of my friends have 12" computers (I'm a student) and they're fine but I love the 15", nice and easy on the eyes and due to how thin it is, still very portable. Plus it's nice for things like Garageband having the larger screen (for me anyway)

OP
C

ChicoWeb

Depends on what you use it for. I use my 12'1 to surf the net from my couch. If I had to do any real work on it, I'd probably want to shoot myself.

OP
L

Lasha

Yup! It all depends on what you do. If it's for basic stuff, get the 12. If it's more for media purposes, get the 15 inch. Good advantage. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum 12" 1.33ghz PowerBook G4 w/ 1280mb RAM, 80gb 5400rpm HD, 64mb vid RAM
I would definitely say the 12 in. is the way to go. It's so easy to carry around that it's not even an issue. The computer is actually smaller than a typical math text-book-- smaller in all dimensions. I get so many compliments on its size and how "I didn't know they made laptops that small... it's so portable." The girls all think it's the cutest computer they've ever seen, and I don't even notice the screen being small.
Save yourself some money and go with the 12" but get the 80gb faster HD and upgrade the ram to at least 512mb.

OP
M

m1k

Go for the 12" for sure. I have one and I don't notice the screen size at all. And I'm a student, but I still do homework, and I don't mind at all. It really isn't as small as you're lead to believe. The contrast is unbelievable, you can see every word of text perfectly.

Even while watching DVDs, I don't mind the 12" screen. I just bring my laptop screen close to my face, the contrast doesn't suffer and it's just like having a 15" or 17".

Seriously, the 12" screen ISN'T AS SMALL as you're lead to believe. I strongly suggest looking at a 12" vs 15" at an Apple store, you'll see that the 12"'s screen isn't bad at all.

Good luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12", 1.33GHz G4, 1GB DDR400, 32MB Radeon 9550, 80GB HD, OSX 10.4.9
Go 12" unless you need the video card power of a 15".

OP
C

ChicoWeb

m1k said:
Go for the 12" for sure. I have one and I don't notice the screen size at all. And I'm a student, but I still do homework, and I don't mind at all. It really isn't as small as you're lead to believe. The contrast is unbelievable, you can see every word of text perfectly.

Even while watching DVDs, I don't mind the 12" screen. I just bring my laptop screen close to my face, the contrast doesn't suffer and it's just like having a 15" or 17".

Seriously, the 12" screen ISN'T AS SMALL as you're lead to believe. I strongly suggest looking at a 12" vs 15" at an Apple store, you'll see that the 12"'s screen isn't bad at all.

Good luck!

Like I said, it really depends on what you use it for. I do web design on 2 - 19's for 12 hours a day. If I had to design on my 12 laptop, it would be like designing a site on a cell phone. Just not plausable. But if your using it for homework or tasks that don't need a lot of screen space you'll be fine.

OP
H

hill.ed

yeah u really need to get the 12 a it is so easy to take with you anywhere like on a plane or train...

OP
M

m1k

Like I said, it really depends on what you use it for. I do web design on 2 - 19's for 12 hours a day. If I had to design on my 12 laptop, it would be like designing a site on a cell phone. Just not plausable. But if your using it for homework or tasks that don't need a lot of screen space you'll be fine.

Ah, I've never really used my PB for web design so I wouldn't know. Sorry.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
I don't have my Powerbook yet but I make a point of using the 12s in the Apple store to be sure I will be happy with it. I am, very much so

OP
A

Agazzie

I have both a iBook 12" and a PowerBook G4 15". The iBook is much more portable when you using it for example on a train or so, but when you've packed it (closed it), the difference isn't that big. I will now pass on the iBook to my mom, and just use the PB, the screen is much much better on the 15".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
stock 17" 2.8ghz unibody mbp.
i'd say get the 12" and with the saving invest the money on a gig of ram..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" 1.5ghz PB,1gb RAM,64mb ATI,80gb HD+PowerMac G4 867mhz,640mb RAM,60gb HD+AirPort xpress+15gb Ipod
Well I have a 17" which is well useful for viewing two web browser windows at once for example because the display is soooooooo wide.

However I am going to fly economy class in December and was wondering if anybody had experience trying to do this with a 17" (You know like on that Powerbook TV advert where theres a guy with a 12 sitting next another with a 17 on the airplane).

When I had my 14.1" vaio it was ok on an economy class seat. Just.

OP
M

mac_noobie

all powerbooks also feature duel display mode... I hook my 12" into a 17inch flat panel screen and run two screens at once... so I have more room for garage band and photoshop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
Wish_4_A_Mac said:
Well I have a 17" which is well useful for viewing two web browser windows at once for example because the display is soooooooo wide.

However I am going to fly economy class in December and was wondering if anybody had experience trying to do this with a 17" (You know like on that Powerbook TV advert where theres a guy with a 12 sitting next another with a 17 on the airplane).

When I had my 14.1" vaio it was ok on an economy class seat. Just.

I just flew economy class on monday and used my 17". It was okay. the laptop did fit, but just about. I flew BA.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.