Bluetooth Woes !

Reaction score
Hi all

New to the forum - well impressed.

I have a Bluetooth problem. I have just bought a Blutooth EDR v2.0 Dongle like this one _>>

(http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250222877077&mpt=1206787386056&tGUID=6eb080131150a0e2032353c3fffbd321

Now, it says that it is Mac compatible, but I have tried very very hard to set up my Photosmart printer and it doesn't want to play !

The Mac bluetooth finds the printer when I 'set up bluetooth device', it gathers more information about the device, but then when I give the printer a name, I get the error message 'Could not configure the printer (Error 0xfffffffe)'

Does anyone have any idea what I need to do to get it working ????

Thanks

Marc
:D

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Your computer is ???
Your operating system is ???
Your printer model is ???
You have installed the printer drivers???

OP
M
Reaction score
Sorry about that !!

Its a brand new Apple Mac (2.1GHz / 20" screen)
I'm using OS X Leopard
Its a Photosmart D7160
It has latest driver installed

Cheers

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You did get the 'optional' bluetooth adapter for the printer or you're attempting to use this dongle connected to the printers camera port?

It may require HP's bluetooth adapter, not just any old bluetooth adapter. Have not found the adapter on HP's site yet although the printer manual does say to follow the directions supplied with the adapter. Have to head out - see if you can find them.

You also need to set the bluetooth printer options on the printer - see Settings in your manual.

Copied here:
Bluetooth
– Device address: Some devices with Bluetooth wireless technology require you to enter the address of the device they are trying to locate. This menu option shows the printer address.
– Device name: You can select a name for the printer that appears on other
devices with Bluetooth wireless technology when they locate the printer.
– Passkey: When the Bluetooth Security level of the printer is set to High, you must enter a passkey to make the printer available to other Bluetooth devices. The default passkey is 0000.
– Visibility: Select Visible to all (default) or Not visible. When Visibility is set
to Not visible, only devices that know the printer address can print to it.
– Security level: Select Low (default) or High. The Low setting does not require users of other devices with Bluetooth wireless technology to enter the printer passkey. High requires users of other devices with Bluetooth wireless technology to enter the printer passkey.
– Reset Bluetooth options: Select to reset all items in the Bluetooth menu to
their default values.

Reaction score
Hi all

New to the forum - well impressed.

I have a Bluetooth problem. I have just bought a Blutooth EDR v2.0 Dongle like this one _>>

(http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250222877077&mpt=1206787386056&tGUID=6eb080131150a0e2032353c3fffbd321

Now, it says that it is Mac compatible, but I have tried very very hard to set up my Photosmart printer and it doesn't want to play !

The Mac bluetooth finds the printer when I 'set up bluetooth device', it gathers more information about the device, but then when I give the printer a name, I get the error message 'Could not configure the printer (Error 0xfffffffe)'

Does anyone have any idea what I need to do to get it working ????

Thanks

Marc
:D

Try this: fire up your browser and go to http://localhost:631 . Click "Add Printer". Fill in name and such and hit next. Under device select "Bluetooth printer (bluetooth)" and hit continue. Then look on the bottom of your print server thing and find the MAC address. Fill it in like bluetooth://00112233445566 . Follow the rest of the prompts to set up your printer. Worked for me!

dan

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.