iTunes won't quit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
Ugh, this is bothersome.

I open iTunes, and 9 times out of 10, when I quit the program, it remains open, but inaccessible.

I click on the icon, and the window won't pop up, I attempt to force quit it and nothing happens, I try to do a killall in Terminal, and it can't find the process, and the only way I can reopen it is to reboot the machine.

Any idea how to fix this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Aluminum), MacBook (Core Duo), iPod (Classic), 16GB iPhone 3G
Weird. I haven't had this happen to me. I have had it do this when I cmd+w it, but not when I quit it. When I cmd+w it (not sure what that's called, it's not really quitting it.... closing?) it may do either that or just turn into a white box. I usually just switch to a different space, or open an application (like Safari) to cover it up, then go back to iTunes and it's fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
maybe it actually is running but not showing up, did you try to open up itunes when the computer is behaving and writing down the all the itunes processes names, then doing the killall command in terminal using those names when its not responding. (its possible they are not responding to show that they are there, but will respond to a command they are given).

OP
Derek McNelly
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
I got it figured out, and it's the same problem I had with my MacBook locking up at bootup.

My iPod shuffle was causing some sort of havoc with iTunes and startup, and by restoring my shuffle, the problems were solved.

Thanks anyway though!

Reaction score
Same problem different fix. The iPod shuffle fix doesn't apply because I don't have an iPod connected. I speculated that perhaps it's a problem with any device iTunes is communicating with. In this case my iTunes library is on an external FW800 drive. I disconnected the drive and the iTunes process finally shutdown.

All is well now. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" (unibody) Intel Core 2 Duo 2.53 Ghz, 4GB RAM... fans pumped up to 2700rpm & running at 42*C
Knotwork,

Thanks, great tip... I should have thought of that *duh*... but it's the little stuff that gets ya!

My first Network Admin & boss, used to always say start with the simple and work backwards... why waste 2 hours of your life... I have to remind my self of that lesson about every 2 weeks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
With large libraries iTunes may also need a while to write all the changes back into its database when you quit, so don't be too hasty to force quit or you may corrupt your library.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.