What Audio Interface?

Reaction score
M Audio Pro?
Edirol UA-700?
Mackie Onyx Satellite?
Anything else?

I own a MacBook Pro, Mac OS X 10.5.2

Any and all suggestions appreciated, thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2ghz 2G 15.5" 10.5.2; Iphone 3G
you've probably heard me recommend the onyx before... Firewire... and nice preamps built in... at a VERY reasonable price.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Aluminum), MacBook (Core Duo), iPod (Classic), 16GB iPhone 3G
What's your budget?

I have a M-Audio Firewire 410. I hope to be getting a MOTU interface today.

Reaction score
I have an Apogee Duet and I love it. It is the best I have used in the price range and works really well with logic and garage band. The sound is truly phenomenal. The only downfall is it only has two inputs though, which makes tracking drums difficult, but if you have a mixer you can record them stereo. If I had the money I would buy the ensemble, but I don't unfortunately.

OP
C
Reaction score
$250 range budget

apogee....thanks for the tip.

What about PreSonus firebox? Anybody use this?

THX!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2ghz 2G 15.5" 10.5.2; Iphone 3G
you might also look for a pro audio forum of some kind... Most people here are more than willing to help (like me!) but you are going to get a wide variety of answers because this isn't a highly trafficked part of this forum (at least from what I've seen over the past few months..

That is certainly not to say that people here aren't knowledgeable because they are! Definitely helped me a few times... :)

Reaction score
From multiple reviews I've read of the Presonus Firebox, Macbook Pro users can't get rid of a distinct whining noise from the second channel. This problem seems to be related specifically to the MBP. Based on those reviews I'd go with something else.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I use the MOTU 828 MKII with good results. Plus you can daisy chain multiple units together if you ever plan on recording something like....and orchestra?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 MDD Dual 1GHZ 1.25gb RAM, G4 PowerBook 1.67GHZ, 2gb RAM
I have a MOTU 828mkII as well and I love it! I route 8 channels through my mackie mixer into the 8 line ins on the 828kII.

To add another product onto what Village Idiot said, the Presonus Firepod (or FP10 as it is named now) can also be daisy chained. I've also had the pleasure of working with one of these and it's pretty nice. The 8 mic/line inputs are handy and pretty low-noise.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro Quad 2.66, 1 Gig Ram, 2 x 250GB HDD, 1 500GB HDD---Black MB 2.0 Duo, 2 Gig Ram, 320GB HDD
i have a m-audio FW 410 and love it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Aluminum), MacBook (Core Duo), iPod (Classic), 16GB iPhone 3G
I have an M-Audio Firewire 410 too, it's pretty good. Preamp isn't the best in the world, but for the price, it's one of the best around, IMO. If I'd upgrade, I'd go for MOTU. IMHO, MOTU is the best for interfaces; solid build, excellent built in preamps, ample features and such.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.