Power problem/ Water spill?

Reaction score
ok so today when i was eating i suddenly spilled a tea , near to the left side of my macbook , it got little wet on left side (usb port , head phones ETC.)
before incident remaining power was 2 minutes it was closed but turned on
after that i turned it off and dried the left side with towel , than turned on , it was working
than Mouse stopped responding , i turned it off and dried with fan , than started to recharge , after 10 minutes i turned it on and is started to make weird noise like A cooler os something , it turned of automatically , after that i tried again , same noise now it is not starting at all, battery and HDD are not wet at all it is absolutely dry. i dont know what to do please help
and sorry for english ...
i have apple protection plan but i dont know if they will help
ps battery is not charging idk why when i press battery button on back side it shows 1 green light

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
ok so today when i was eating i suddenly spilled a tea , near to the left side of my macbook , it got little wet on left side (usb port , head phones ETC.)
before incident remaining power was 2 minutes it was closed but turned on
after that i turned it off and dried the left side with towel , than turned on , it was working
than Mouse stopped responding , i turned it off and dried with fan , than started to recharge , after 10 minutes i turned it on and is started to make weird noise like A cooler os something , it turned of automatically , after that i tried again , same noise now it is not starting at all, battery and HDD are not wet at all it is absolutely dry. i dont know what to do please help
and sorry for english ...
i have apple protection plan but i dont know if they will help
ps battery is not charging idk why when i press battery button on back side it shows 1 green light

Just for future reference, any time you get a piece of electronic gear wet, remove the battery and all power and allow it to dry for a minimum of 48 hours. The problem is not the water itself as much as it is the fact that it can short circuits inside your computer.

It's very likely that your system board is damaged, if not other components. Apple Care does not cover accidental damage. I would allow the computer to dry out further, even if it doesn't appear to be wet on the surface. After a few days, try connecting just the power and not the battery and run the Apple Hardware Test. That will give you a better idea of the problem areas. If it doesn't run at all, you're going to need to consider whether you want to have a professional repair or just replace it and sell the existing for parts.

OP
J
Reaction score
will they notice that spill? i mean the spill was only on left side not even on key bord

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
will they notice that spill? i mean the spill was only on left side not even on key bord

Absolutely. There's usually no mistaking damage from liquids as there's usually corrosion. Not to mention peeling labels, smeared ink on labels and the fact that most manufacturers of electronic gear actually use liquid sensitive labels to detect water damage.

ray

Reaction score
Once liquid gets inside, it can move all over the inside of the case. The bottom of the logic board is just a fraction of an inch from the case bottom. Any liquid will fry the circuits. Hopefully you did not permanently damage your macbook by turning it back on too soon.

Is the orange charge light lit up on the power adapter?

Getting it "officially" repaired by Apple will cost you at least $750, if they have to replace the logic board. You might try to make your own repairs with parts from eBay if you or a friend are handy with small tools.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.