Leopard Mail

Reaction score
So I just set up my gmail with the Apple Mail client. It was very easy. However, I have a few questions...

Does the mail from my gmail account which I see in the mail client actually takes up space on my Hard drive? If so, what is the best way to deal with that?

If I delete something using the mail client, will it be deleted from my gmail account online?

Do you guys even use the mail client apple offers? Why or why not?

Thanks for the help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Looks like gmail uses POP, which means the mail will be downloaded to your machine.. Best way to deal with saving space is to delete mail you don't need. Especially that with attachments. I use the mail app. I have no reason not to, I really would be happy with mail.. or pine for that matter so the included mail client.. is much more full featured than either of those ;)

OP
W
Reaction score
if i delete something from my Leopard Mail program, will it be deleted if I check my mail online?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4Ghz
if i delete something from my Leopard Mail program, will it be deleted if I check my mail online?

If you delete something in your inbox, it goes to your Trash folder. Then when you empty the Trash it is gone for good. Deleting a message in Mail has no effect on Gmail - you can physically go into Gmail later and you will see those messages still there...

There is a way to setup Mail to delete messages from the server - it's under Preferences -> Advanced

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" G5, 2gHz, 1gb RAM, 250gb HD; iPod Touch 8gb
Gmail can also use IMAP. So if you read it thru Mail and delete it, it will delete it from Gmail - provided you have it set up as an IMAP account.

OP
W
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

One quick question:

Is there a way to set a time you can hover over an email before it gets marked as a "read" email?

Reaction score
I want my Gmail account to be set up so I can delete mail in AppleMail and it will automatically delete it off the gmail server ... I changed the account type from POP to IMAP like someone above mentioned ...

But now my existing mail on the gmail server isn't downloading to my AppleMail. How do I sync those so that I can get all existing mail downloaded there???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini
Thanks for the replies.

One quick question:

Is there a way to set a time you can hover over an email before it gets marked as a "read" email?

Not that I am aware of.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.