compatibility of excel files between mac and pc ?

Reaction score
hi guys,

does anyone here have experience w/ this problem.

say one has an ms excel file written in a pc machine.
then that file is saved in a usb drive like one of those kensington traveller.
then one uses that file in a macbook or macbook pro using mac's ms excel program.
i had no problem reading that file on the mac but if i edit that file, somehow the mac wont allow me to save it.
is this normal or there is a way around it ?

however, what i notice was. if i load that pc based excel file into the mac , edit that file in mac and save as a different file, then it will allow me to save it.
Why is that ?

What i really want to do is work on the excel file on both pc and mac without any issues.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Are you trying to save the file directly on the USB drive or are you copying the file over to your Mac first?

It's possible that the USB drive is formatted as NTFS, which would explain why you can read the files on your Mac but not write to them.

OP
F
Reaction score
Are you trying to save the file directly on the USB drive or are you copying the file over to your Mac first?

## yes, trying to save the file direct on the USB drive. The file never gets to be in the hard drive of either mac or pc. My files are all in the usb drive and i want both machines to read/write/edit files in there w/o any glitches. Ive done this in my two laptaps both are pc. But now i added a macbook to the equation.

It's possible that the USB drive is formatted as NTFS, which would explain why you can read the files on your Mac but not write to them.

Formatted at FAT. I dont know what that would implicate.

Tks for the help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.