G4 - Can It Go Wireless?

Reaction score
Hi again,

The G4 I have is the DUAL 1.25GHZ that was the latest model until it was discontinued. Knowing the model I have, can anyone tell me if I can support a wireless network? Is the airport extreme "g" available for my powermac?

Please let me know anybody,

Thanks

Andrew

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
Yes, your machine is wireless compatible, but not with an AirPort Extreme card. The G4 requires a standard AirPort Card (802.11b).

M

Montano

I have a Linksys WMP54G wireless pci card in my G4 and it works incredibly well. Linksys often (but not always) uses Broadcom chipsets, which are the ones the Airport cards are based on. So to answer your question, yes. I have a wireless G router and a wireless G pci card in my G4.

R

rbrinch

.g for PowerMac G4

Montano said:
I have a Linksys WMP54G wireless pci card in my G4 and it works incredibly well. Linksys often (but not always) uses Broadcom chipsets, which are the ones the Airport cards are based on. So to answer your question, yes. I have a wireless G router and a wireless G pci card in my G4.

Hi Montano.

This is an excellent tip! I was furious when I found out that Apple does not support any official way to upgrade the G4 to .g Wireless networking.

What about drivers? Do I need any particular ones, or will the Airport drivers on the Apple site do the trick? (I'm pretty new on the MAC!)

Thanks,
Reidar

B

blackscooby

I use my iMac G4 with a Dlink WG122 USB WiFi dongle. I read some where that the Dlink site in Singapore has the later drivers which I use.

Connects to my 3com AP perfectly, although only using 802.11b.

I attempted to source an Airport card (not the extreme) for my iMac, but found the sources to be way more expensive than the USB dongle which works perfectly well.

Reaction score
Hi, I saw your response to the wireless G4 question. Can you tell me what router you use? I am tring to get a satellite hook up with my imac core duo with an airport extreme and a powermac g4 (733). So far I am looking at a WMP54G card for the g4 and a WRT54G wireless router. Will the card in the imac (Airport Extreme) work with the WRT54G?

Thanks
Mike

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hi, I saw your response to the wireless G4 question. Can you tell me what router you use? I am tring to get a satellite hook up with my imac core duo with an airport extreme and a powermac g4 (733). So far I am looking at a WMP54G card for the g4 and a WRT54G wireless router. Will the card in the imac (Airport Extreme) work with the WRT54G?

Thanks
Mike

Yes, any device that purports to be 802.11(b/g/n) compliant conforms to the 802.11 standards for interoperability. In other words, 802.11b/g/n all work together regardless of brand.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.