G4 trouble

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core 2 Duo 1.83 ghz
Hi. I recently got a imac g4 off of ebay. For the past week or so, every time the computer runs for over 2 hrs. it either freezes or a strange message comes up on the screen that tells me i need to restart the computer by holding down the power button. Before this happens, the graphics do very strange things and then freeze. Is it a logic board problem, or something else? If so, can i get a new logic board that is faster than the one i have now? (i got 700 mghz...slow i know, but it was a good price...i wonder why?!?!?!):Oops:

OP
justin_clark93
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Help!!! iMac On Deathbed!!!

I have an imac g4 700mhz.... slow i know, but it was a good deal. there is a problem that happens when the computer runs for more than 2 hours that causes the screen ...or something to freeze. occasionally there is a black screen that appears. is this a logic board failure? can i upgrade the existing one with a faster one? thanks:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
What OS are you running? Did you get the install DVD/CD with the machine? Have you tried Apple Hardware Test as you are experiencing Kernel Panic Attacks and it could well be the memory. Have you put any new memory modules in the iMac?

OP
justin_clark93
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Replying to message

i am running OS X 10.3.9. I do not have the install disks, and i have no idea how to run those tests. thanks.

OP
justin_clark93
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
another reply

there is a 512mb memory upgrade though. how do i do those tests?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Download Apple Hardware Test for your iMac from the link below. Drag the .dmg file to Disk Utility left hand column and burn (take it you do have a burner or in trouble or need a friend to do it) a CD. Pop into optical drive, boot holding down 'C" and run the full test.

You really do need the system install disc. Suggest yoju upgrade the RAM to 1GB and get a full retail install copy of Tiger, a black disc and NOT a grey disc, and start from there.

http://www.info.apple.com/support/aht.html

OP
justin_clark93
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks

That was really helpful. I will try doing that. i think it is the RAM because it only happens when i run especially demanding programs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK if you still have problems and an additional 512MB RAm was put in the machine, first off go to 'About this Mac' under the Apple icon in the menu bar and tell us what amount of memory appears.

If the additional 512MB is not shown, remove it and boot again and see if your problems are resolved. The problem you describe can happen if the wrong type of RAM, single sided or high density instead of low density etc. is used. Macs are very very picky about RAM.

OP
justin_clark93
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
All the RAM appears

Hi. All the installed RAM appears (640mb). So, does that mean that the problem is osolated to the OS?:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.