Looking for a music manager similar to Mediamonkey

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" (early 2008, pre-unibody), 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM.
I see that there have been other posts related to Itunes alternatives, but I still can't find a program for the Mac that doesn't require the user to import everything into a library based on tags. I definitely see the value of tag based libraries, and I do use this sometimes, but I also like the option of seeing the actual file architecture and folders that I create by hand. Not all of my audio files fit neatly into genres, artists, and albums; a good deal of them are my own recordings.

Mediamonkey for windows is great because it has both a library and file browser, and is great for editing tags. Another program that comes to mind (albeit for image files) is Adobe bridge.

Suggestions anyone?

OP
riverteeth
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Amarok / Mediamonkey like music organizer

I'm still looking, but on I found out about a linux based app from another forum called Amarok, which looks promising, but a bit complicated as yet. Supposedly they're planning a native mac version, but it's possible to run the current one with some tweaking... I'm have no experience with linux. I'm planning on trying this out, but I thought I'd ask if anyone has any experience with Amarok.

I also just found out that Mediamonkey developers are actually already working on a crossplatform version, though I don't know when it might be available.

Oh, and if you wouldn't mind, please hold the comments about how great Itunes is and how you can't imagine anyone wanting to use anything else. Really, it might be great for you, but... well, there've just already been too many pixels spilled on this subject...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You can get iTunes to behave as you want it

Just point itunes at your music collection and untick those first two options, Keep... organised and Copy to...

OP
riverteeth
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, we know, Itunes can do no wrong, is fully customizable, and will bring about world peace... Now, someone who uses something else?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.