Need help with "oldschool" Mac LC system

J

jjjrmac

While I currently run an iMac with osX, I also have an older system which I use for some accounting work and basic documents. System is original Mac LC running 6.0.7 from 1990/91 and 13in (I think) original color monitor.

It appears my ABD port in the back of the LC has gone south (only has a single ABD port), as I have hooked up other mice and keyboards to no avail. One of the Mac Forums mentions the ADB port was connected directly to the motherboard, hence no easy swap out. I run a IINT printer off the LC, and would like to keep it all going, but at a minimum need to get the info off the LC if I trash it.
So, If I buy and older LC or LC2/LC3, can I just plug-and-play with the hard drive? if OS on new LC is different, can I install 6.0.7 to get back to where I am today? If newer LC has newer OS, what are my options to get the HD out of my LC to work?

Did not know if anyone had a source for older macs or mac parts, and also, if I need to transfer the HD of the bad Mac LC to CD or some other storage media, do you have any suggestions where to go (locally in Cincinnati, OH area would be great!).
TIA for any and all help.

Jerry

OP
J

jjjrmac

Badger said:
You should be able to swap the LC hard disk into a newer model with little problem. I would look for an LC II or III at www.shrevesystems.com or www.sunrem.com.
You should be able to get one for around $40-$50 plus shipping.

Thanks for the help. I'll take a look.
Will the software that is loaded on my current LC work as well or will I need to reload? My fear is that the new OS later than 6.0.7 will require new software which I may not have or be able to find or what I have is not compatable. Most of what I have on the LC is MS Word, MS Excel and Aldus Freehand.
Thoughts?

TIA

OP
B

Badger

If you get an LC or LC II you will be able to swap in the old hard disk with no system update; an LC III or newer requires 7.1 or higher so you would risk some program incompatibilities. The system is resident on the hard disk so with an LC or LC II just swap in the hard disk from the old LC and everything should work just like it does now.

OP
J

jjjrmac

Badger said:
If you get an LC or LC II you will be able to swap in the old hard disk with no system update; an LC III or newer requires 7.1 or higher so you would risk some program incompatibilities. The system is resident on the hard disk so with an LC or LC II just swap in the hard disk from the old LC and everything should work just like it does now.

Badger---thanks for all the help!
I'll start the LC/LCII hunt today.
This made my Friday.

Thanks.
Jerry

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.