Power PC speed vs. Intel Speed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro Westmere 5,1
Hello.

I have a PPC G5 dual processor running at 2.5 ghz.

I am considering buying one of the new Intel 8-core Mac Pro machines, but I don't have any real data that can show me how much faster the new machines are with relation to my Dual PPC G5.

I'm heavy on 3D and graphics, so I really NEED THE SPEED, but I don't know where to find the data that might support my decision to buy or not to buy.

I'm not interested in dropping 4 grand on another machine if it's not significantly faster than what I have.

Any info anyone might have, or can direct me to would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
If you do 3D graphics, isn't the video card an important piece to the puzzle?

Have you tried Apple's website for info? There are some comparions with leading apps in all the major fields of design.

$4000 seems like an over the top estimate. If you sold the 2.5GHz, that should cover all the RAM and HD needs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
here is a link from the apple site that compares the new mac pro to the quad 2.5 G5

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Still don't get the Doom3 figures on that page.

Testing conducted by Apple in December 2007 using preproduction 8-core 3.2GHz Mac Pro, NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT, and ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT units; and shipping quad-core 2.66GHz Mac Pro NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT units. All systems were configured with 4GB of RAM. Tested using Doom 3 v1.3.1 TimeDemo 1, high video quality, at 1024 by 768. Performance tests are conducted using specific computer systems and reflect the approximate performance of Mac Pro.

I get 100FPS exactly with the same settings on my 2.4Ghz iMac, not 88.

OP
Hombre
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro Westmere 5,1
here is a link from the apple site that compares the new mac pro to the quad 2.5 G5

...thanks for that link...I am going to assume that Apple is not exaggerating, and given that, since mine is a dual PPC processor, and not the Intel quad they're talking about, it should be head and shoulders above my PPC G5.
That is what I was looking for...thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No benchmark is as good as hands on experience. You visited an Apple store recently?

OP
Hombre
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro Westmere 5,1
If you do 3D graphics, isn't the video card an important piece to the puzzle?

Have you tried Apple's website for info? There are some comparions with leading apps in all the major fields of design.

$4000 seems like an over the top estimate. If you sold the 2.5GHz, that should cover all the RAM and HD needs.

...the video card is, yes, important, but is a minor piece of the expense...and increasing the quality of my existing card, which is really a very good one, is not going to significantly increase the performance of the G5.

Re: the price.
I am referencing MacMalls' price on a 3.2Ghz 8-core Mac Pro...if you know anyone who sells that machine for around 2 grand, let me know.....

...and as far as getting rid of the existing G5 to pay for parts and upgrades for a new one?

...nah.....I have too many programs that I'm not willing to take to the Intel platform yet...and besides, that's talkin' more bucks than the new machine......bottom line is: they keep us buying.....

My history with apple has been steeped in obsolescence.........

...I've still got some plug-ins and so on from OS9 that haven't made it to X, let alone Intel-X........

OP
Hombre
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro Westmere 5,1
No benchmark is as good as hands on experience. You visited an Apple store recently?

...ugh.....

...you mean dweeb carnival?

...I really can't because they would have to have my programs installed on their machine, and I would have to drop one of my files in to see how it worked......which I kinda doubt they could or even would....then there's the licensing issue...and the whole PPC vs Intel issue.....just not really a good solution....

I agree with you hands-on idea, but I really probably need to have a friend who already has the equipment and is willing to let me play with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Curious, why the post if you already have a friend who will let borrow his Mac to do all of your own, personalized testing?

No need to be rude. How was I suppose to know you wanted the 3.2 model?? It's not much better than either of the 8-cores to justify the cost....

OP
Hombre
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro Westmere 5,1
Curious, why the post if you already have a friend who will let borrow his Mac to do all of your own, personalized testing?

No need to be rude. How was I suppose to know you wanted the 3.2 model?? It's not much better than either of the 8-cores to justify the cost....

...you need to read the words again.

I said:

I probably need a friend....with which to try your idea out with....

...perhaps you're already on the defensive for no reason of my doing, but I don't consider anything I said to be rude.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry, I missed the word probably. The iPhone screen is a bit small for text reading at a few feet away.

Dweeb circus or carnival or whatever you said, that seems a little harsh, no?
You obviously know I can't find you an 8-core 3.2GHz for $2000 so that comment wasn't needed either, was it?

I was throwning out suggestions because none of us have any sort of clue what sort of research you've done, especiallly when it seems like you didn't visit Apple's website before the link was posted.

My mistake though.

Edit: I suggested visiting the Apple store so you can test the machine. Photoshop and Illustrator were installed on the Mac when I tested it. If you use a common program, maybe it's already installed. Or maybe you can just mess with it so compare how it handles everyday situations compared to your dual 2.5GHz.

OP
Hombre
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro Westmere 5,1
Sorry, I missed the word probably. The iPhone screen is a bit small for text reading at a few feet away.

Dweeb circus or carnival or whatever you said, that seems a little harsh, no?
You obviously know I can't find you an 8-core 3.2GHz for $2000 so that comment wasn't needed either, was it?

I was throwning out suggestions because none of us have any sort of clue what sort of research you've done, especiallly when it seems like you didn't visit Apple's website before the link was posted.

My mistake though.

Edit: I suggested visiting the Apple store so you can test the machine. Photoshop and Illustrator were installed on the Mac when I tested it. If you use a common program, maybe it's already installed. Or maybe you can just mess with it so compare how it handles everyday situations compared to your dual 2.5GHz.

Bryphotoguy.....

I'm not attempting to disdain your advice or poke fun at you for any reason. I appreciate your suggestions as I do the others....

..but allow me the freedom to express myself without the fear of PC police retaliations and/or censorship. I'm not real keen on curbing my voice for the sake of the possibility of offending someone, whoever that might be.

RE: The Dweeb Carnival.
That is how I happen to perceive it, and I can be equally offended if someone sees it differently than I. BTW. I am probably old enough to be your father...just guessing, but it's probably true. I have been doing 3D work professionally for 30 years now, and computer work for the last 17. I have had a slew of Apple products, and in every single case where I had problems or questions, they were less than helpful...which is why I'm posting HERE.

2. I DON'T know if you can find a 8-core 2ghz for 2 grand. A year ago, a friend of mine found a 17 inch MacBook Pro for $1,600....or about $1,100 off the retail..and this was on a legitimate website for a limited time....and so therefore, I reiterate....IF you see a 3.2ghz, 8-core Mac Pro for significantly less than 4 grand.......please post it...or rather notify me privately before the stock sells out. Thanks!

3. Research.
Well, you couldn't know what I have done or not done, I'll give you that, but I thought that my question was simple enough, and in fact asked for direction to reference material. Apples' site is huge, and quite difficult to navigate, in terms of finding information other than what is currently on sale. Even utilizing a 'search' function through the 'support' tab will lead one into a morass of archived articles that could take months to search through, unless one knows where to head to beforehand........and in addition, judging by some of the questions I see posted on this forum, there are more than a few people who are talking without thinking first.........

4. ....back to visiting the Apple store.....
...or the Dweeb Carnival, as I prefer to call it. That's a joke, BTW. :D
...the surprising thing about doing 3D work, is that even though files are not really all that huge, in comparison to a lot of Photoshop files I've worked with, the raw processing power that is required, goes far beyond what the typical 'graphic' file requires. Testing a huge Photoshop file at the Apple store is really an exercise in vanity in terms of the data one might aquire towards understanding how the machine might operate in a 3D environment.

The best input I am going to get ( I think ) is from the Sanity 1082 link.

..and let me thank you once again, Sanity1082, for being succinct.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Search- Why you may ask?

Mac Pro 4-core 2.8GHz Probably has $3000 in it and sale price is $2250 with shipping.

MacMall Thread- To decide if they're worth the hassle to deal with.

You may be old enough to be my father but the rules here state you need to be courteous to every member here. Many members here, including myself, shop at the Apple store. The internets does not know sarcasm which means you have to watch what you type.

Apple Store Named Best Place for Women to Pick Up Men :)

GL

OP
Hombre
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro Westmere 5,1
Search- Why you may ask?

1.Mac Pro 4-core 2.8GHz Probably has $3000 in it and sale price is $2250 with shipping.

2.MacMall Thread- To decide if they're worth the hassle to deal with.

3.You may be old enough to be my father but the rules here state you need to be courteous to every member here. Many members here, including myself, shop at the Apple store. The internets does not know sarcasm which means you have to watch what you type.

4.Apple Store Named Best Place for Women to Pick Up Men :)

GL

hey thanks, bryphotoguy.....even if we don't see eye to eye on things, you are a good conversationalist. :D

1. It's not a dual quad core...which means to me that it is not fast enough....but thanks for the effort!

2. I've bought LOTS of stuff from MacMall & MacConnection ...and I have yet to have the first problem with either ordering or receiving exactly what I asked for at much lower prices than retail....so hey, I don't know what they're talking about.

3. ...so you're expecting me to keep my opinions to myself...unlike the guys from your quoted thread on MacMall who are having no problems whatsoever with their libelous conversations? ...besides, I didn't say that YOU or YOUR FRIENDS were dweebs, I said that I prefer to refer to 'The Apple Store' as 'Dweeb Carnival', much as I would refer to Microsoft as 'The Kingdom of the Borg'. :D I guess my attitude rests in the recent conversions of the hordes of dweebs who live for the Ipod, versus what Apple represents to me....i.e. the best computers available.

4. I'll quote the first respondent to that thread:

Great. Now my wife will be suspicious the more time I spend at the Apple store. ;)

..besides, Q. what kind of women shop for men whose primary interest in life is computers anyway?

A. Dweebettes.

...once again....a subject of which I need to defer to an experts opinion...perhaps dweebettes have really fast processors. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Probably the cheapest you'll find it. I've bought refurbished before from Apple and it's the smart choice. It's tested, looks new, and comes with the same accessories and warranty as new.

8-Core 3.2GHz with 8800 GT - $4100 ($700 off)

Or save $1000 and get the 8-Core 3.0GHz which is the processor is only 5% slower than the 3.2GHz

3.0GHz with 2600 XT - $3100

OP
Hombre
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro Westmere 5,1
.....thanks for the effort, photoguy.....btw.....with that handle, what's your line of work?

....I'm probably gonna go with MacMall....they have a dual quad core at 3 ghz,
2 gb of ram, a 320 gig hd with a $125 mail in rebate, a free epson printer ( oboy..I've only had about 10 of those go bad after a few months ) free parallels and free shipping for: $3,464.

....I don't think that the extra .2 ghz is gonna make a thousand bucks worth of difference.......

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I will assume that was sarcasm.

No, the 200MHz is nothing. Upgrading to the 8800 GT is a wise choice. If you are a 3D artist, why would you stick with the 2600 XT??

OP
Hombre
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro Westmere 5,1
I will assume that was sarcasm.

No, the 200MHz is nothing. Upgrading to the 8800 GT is a wise choice. If you are a 3D artist, why would you stick with the 2600 XT??

No sarcasm, really....you are quite a friendly guy, thanks for your effort. I am sincere in saying that. The thing about the Epson printer though, was. ;D

...if you are referring to my query about what your line of work is, it is because I am serious about photography also ( it kinda goes along with the whole art thing ).

RE: the video card......because that is what comes with it, and if it becomes an issue, then replacing it, really isn't as much of an issue as being sucked into buying a much pricier unit to get a video card.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was referring to your question about my line of work. I work in the photographic industry. I never wanted to be a commercial photographer so my degree is art based.

Well, Apple never drops the prices on the video cards. If you go to upgrade in two years, it will still be a $350 upgrade.

Visit techarp.com for a great video card comparison guide. The 8800 GT is 2.5x faster than the HD 2600 XT.

Thanks for the kind words. We're all here to help. Let us know how the purchase goes.

Peace.

OP
Hombre
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro Westmere 5,1
I was referring to your question about my line of work. I work in the photographic industry. I never wanted to be a commercial photographer so my degree is art based.

Well, Apple never drops the prices on the video cards. If you go to upgrade in two years, it will still be a $350 upgrade.

Visit techarp.com for a great video card comparison guide. The 8800 GT is 2.5x faster than the HD 2600 XT.

Thanks for the kind words. We're all here to help. Let us know how the sale goes.

Peace.

.....getting the video upgrade with the package price at the time of purchase means going to the 3.2 package which only lets you go to the 7300, for the big buck difference. It's kinda like going to the movies and being forced to pay 8 bucks for a 50 cent coke....so, IMO, it's much easier to simply buy the existing package, and then add-on than it is to confuse the issue with them, and end up paying them extra to install it, which is about as hard as plugging in a power cord.

..so tell me about what types of subject matter you shoot......

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.