Leopard Single-User Mode

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 GHz Intel iMac G5 (White)
Is there some way to set a user to admin from single-user mode in Leopard. I made the mistake of turning off my admin account and don't want to have to redo it through the disk and I know you can do it in Tiger.

Needing help!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
Have you tried just going to System Preferences-Accounts and select your account, then select "allow user to administer this computer"?

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 GHz Intel iMac G5 (White)
That would be a great idea that I have already tried except that little lock icon on the bottom is locked and I can't unlock cause I don't have an admin password, like I said

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
edit: ack. didn't read it fully.

dscl . -append /Groups/admin GroupMembership <username>

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
it's a command (that I typo'd and didn't catch oops), you have to (normally) be root or sudo it, but it should work in single user mode. Substitute <username> for the username you wish to make an admin. You could also probably enable the root account, log on as root and use the gui to promote your user to admin.

Like such.

mike-macbook-pro:~ mike$ id foo
uid=503(foo) gid=20(staff) groups=20(staff),98(_lpadmin),102(com.apple.sharepoint.group.2),103(com.apple.sharepoint.group.3),101(com.apple.sharepoint.group.1)
mike-macbook-pro:~ mike$ sudo dscl . -append /Groups/admin GroupMembership foo
mike-macbook-pro:~ mike$ id foo
uid=503(foo) gid=20(staff) groups=20(staff),98(_lpadmin),102(com.apple.sharepoint.group.2),103(com.apple.sharepoint.group.3),80(admin),101(com.apple.sharepoint.group.1)
mike-macbook-pro:~ mike$

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.