Battery 63 cycles, 47% health

Reaction score
For some reason, that doesn't seem right.

iStat tells me 63 cycles, 47% remaining.

Coconut Battery says current capacity is 2658 while original capacity is 5600.

I am a college student so I use it off charge a lot and run it down pretty low. Could that be why?

My Mac is 8 months old.

What should it be at this point? Should I purchase a new battery and care for it differently?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
The MacBook batteries don't really like numerous deep-discharges. Running down to 20 - 40% and then recharging is more ideal. Having said that, even with the worst possible abuse, you should not lose 50% of your capacity on 40 charges.

I would do a recalibration. Run the machine down on battery power until it goes to sleep, leave for at least 5 hours or until the sleep light stops flashing.

- Remove the battery
- Reset the PRAM by holding down the power button for 10 seconds
- Replace the battery
- Connect to the power supply and allow to fully charge

Restart and and see what it says. If it's less than 85 - 90% health, return it to Apple.

OP
C
Reaction score
I hold the power button for 10 seconds after removing the battery?

And can I use the laptop while the battery charges or is it best to have it off while it charges?

Reaction score
I am having the same problem, except mine is 41 cycles and 22% health. Im trying the suggestion above right now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHZ Macbook (black), OSX Leopard 10.5.5, 1GB Shuffle,4GB Nano,2GB nano 2nd generation
the other thing you can do is to replace the battery if your mac is under warranty- get a new one!

Reaction score
my macbook air's battery is showing 100% health with 32 cycles... Definatelly yours has a problem.

Try calibrating the battery and reset the SMC - PRAM.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
I hold the power button for 10 seconds after removing the battery?

And can I use the laptop while the battery charges or is it best to have it off while it charges?

Yes exactly in the order it says above, hold down the power button after you have removed the battery.

You can use the MacBook while it is charging, but allow it to fully charge before disconnecting the power.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.