Hardware encrypted USB flash drive

Reaction score
Hi Guy

Just joined the forum so, hello.

I am after some information, does anyone know if you can buy hardware encrypted USB flash drives that run on the Mac? I have looked around and all I can find is Windows compatiable devices and nothing for the Mac. Basically the device has to be encrypted to AES 256 and mustn't install anything into the OS.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Rob

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
No, but you can create a encrypted disk image and drag that onto the stick..
Disadvantage: Only mac compatible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Pro 2017 3GHz 10-core 128GB RAM MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.3GHz i5 16GB RAM
Try TrueCrypt. It will enable you to encrypt a memory stick and you can use it both with a PC or a Mac.

OP
G
Reaction score
I've used Truecrypt on the PC and it does the job, however you need to have local admin rights to run the client. I've not used it on the Mac, does it require anything special, permissions etc? and can I still run it as a standalone application i.e. nothing needs to be installed on the client machine?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Pro 2017 3GHz 10-core 128GB RAM MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.3GHz i5 16GB RAM
There is something called Traveler mode (whcih I have not tried) where you do not need to install the software first, but it seems as if you need admin privileges to use it....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro 4GB
Whats wrong with this?>>> http://store.lexar.com/?productid=JDSEP4GB-431

I have one, works fine with OS X and Vista.

Interesting. There is no data on their site that acknowledges any OS-X compatibility. Are you saying that it has both an OS-X and a Vista encryption client on it, so that you can authenticate either way? Or are you saying that you can only access encrypted files on Vista, but unencrypted files are accessible on both Vista and OS-X?

Seriously. I could use about a dozen OS-X/Windows compatible encrypted thumb drives. If you've got screenshots that show both platforms being able to use this in an encrypted manner, I'm going to go out and buy one or two for testing purposes.

Reaction score
Interesting. There is no data on their site that acknowledges any OS-X compatibility. Are you saying that it has both an OS-X and a Vista encryption client on it, so that you can authenticate either way? Or are you saying that you can only access encrypted files on Vista, but unencrypted files are accessible on both Vista and OS-X?

Seriously. I could use about a dozen OS-X/Windows compatible encrypted thumb drives. If you've got screenshots that show both platforms being able to use this in an encrypted manner, I'm going to go out and buy one or two for testing purposes.

You can read the encrypted portion in OS X and Windows, but like Gravelrash mentioned, OS X requires you to install a driver, Vista doesn't though. I'll post screen shots later if I am on my MBP.

Reaction score
Secure.jpg

There is lexar's program running in OS X.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook - 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2GB ram 160GB hard drive Aluminum Unibody
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
I have been using this for a while now on both Mac OS X an Windows

Bullet proof hardware encryption, military grade.
No drivers needed !

However ....... you need to activate this baby on a windows machine before usage. I activated it on my Virtual Windows machine on the mac.

They have a Mac OS X client in Beta right now.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
McBie

Reaction score
I have been using this for a while now on both Mac OS X an Windows

Bullet proof hardware encryption, military grade.
No drivers needed !

There is a press release on the IronKey website announcing the sale of its hardware business to Imation. Not at all clear what the implications of that are. This may be a "move now or get run over" moment if you're interested in one of their secure USB drives (which I would definitely be if they had a 64 Gb model).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.