Upgrade to 10.3 - now my mac won't start

C

Chee Z

This morning I started to install an upgrade to OS X 10.3.5. An error came up after 3/4 done of the first disc. The only option was to restart. After restarting, it brought me back to the upgrade installer. I was running out of time, so I decided to quit the installer app. It gave me a choice of start-up discs, OS X folder, OS 9 folder, and the upgrade disc. I chose the OS X folder and noticed that the folder said OS X 10.3.5. So the mac continued to boot and the gray screen with the apple and winding wheel came up like it usually does, but will not go past that point, even after a half hour.

So I think my Mac thinks it's starting up on an operating system that is not fully there.

Any help!?!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
What are you trying to upgrade from?

OP
C

Chee Z

OS X 10.2 - I have been having problems with Photoshop CS bombing my whole system almost to the point of everytime I used it. I threw more RAM in and it seemed to help a little, so my next step was upgrade the OS and now I'm about ready to throw my Mac down a long flight of stairs.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I think you have an incomplete install. I would reninstall 10.3

OP
C

Chee Z

I figued that out so far, but how do I get past the gray screen to get to the installer disk. When I hold 'C' on start up, it sends me to the open firmware. What would I type once there?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
holding 'C' gets you in OpenFirmware?! That's strange...
It should make the Mac boot from CD/DVD, and if there's no disk in the drive, it tries to boot from the harddisk...but going to OpenFirmware? I tried to replicate your situation, and I never managed to get to OF with pressing 'C'...

Anyway, another try would be to press 'option' (or 'alt') while starting up, with the system CD/DVD in the drive. After a while, you should get an icon for every bootable partition or disk of your Mac (in your case, I suppose that would be your HD with the dead system, and your system CD/DVD). Select the CD/DVD, and your Mac will boot from there, giving you the possibility to wipe your HD and reinstall everything from scratch.

OP
C

Chee Z

Thanks for the replies. I'm not at home with the machine in question, so I can try the solutions this evening.

What's my chances of just updating my OS versus a total clean install. That's my biggest fear. I burned backup CDs a few weeks ago, but my wife has done some major design work since then. If I can't get that back . . . well, you know how that will go.

OP
C

Chee Z

Update - I was able to get to the Installer, but with the same outcome, an error. I was able to restart in OS 9, so I spent all of last night burning backups. I will try to perform the upgrade while in OS 9 to see if that gives a different result.

What do I do if it constantly gives me an error?

OP
C

Chee Z

Update - I can get to OS 9.2.2 through the update disc which has allowed me to backup all my important goods. But still, everytime I try to update, I get an error at the end of disc 1.

Any help from this point? My next step is the dreaded clean install . . .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
You already found the solution...clean install. Has the advantage to give you a start with a nice and clean system.

There are 2 possibilities, either your install CD is faulty, or your actual system is messed up, so that updating won't work (can happen sometimes).

OP
C

Chee Z

I wouldn't be surprised if my system is screwed up. I've had problems with it ever since I first purchased my Mac. The Mac has never started up on the first try, it usually takes 5 tries before I get the Mac chime. And PhotoShop has never ran well, not matter what version of PS or OS. My freelance schedule has always stopped me from fully fixing it . . . live with the problems and pull in some cash or be down for some time and lose customers.

OP
F

f0134700529

i did that because i'm an idiot and tried to use my girlfriend's new 12" pb's install disc on my powerbook.

OP
C

Chee Z

Well, I ended up putting in a new harddrive and try to do a clean install with 10.3.5. Although the install went further than anytime before, it still errored out. I install 10.2.6 with no problem, I also tried an upgrade to 10.3.5 and it errored as well. I'm going to try to exchange the OS X discs to see if they are bad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
Chee Z said:
I wouldn't be surprised if my system is screwed up. I've had problems with it ever since I first purchased my Mac. The Mac has never started up on the first try, it usually takes 5 tries before I get the Mac chime. And PhotoShop has never ran well, not matter what version of PS or OS. My freelance schedule has always stopped me from fully fixing it . . . live with the problems and pull in some cash or be down for some time and lose customers.
this is bad, Im thinking your hd is gone, dead or corrupt. Id suggest getting it to apple asap

OP
C

Chee Z

I replaced the HD and I'm still in the same situation. They wierd thing is that 10.2.3 loads up fine, but when the software update app comes up to upgrade to 10.2.8, it errors and locks up. Oh, and 10.3.5 although gets a little further, it still errors out.

I'm going to try to find a local tech to take it too. I'm sure that will be cheap

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
hmm, if having problems since you first bought your mac isnt good, Id have returned it and got a new one. I think maybe you have a HUGE extension conflict going on, have you recently installed any new software or hardware?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.