Mail and preview window

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Macbook
I've been trying to figure out a way to turn off the preview window in Mail so I'll never have a problem opening up a possible malicious email.

I have dragged it down so you can't see it but I'm not sure if this turns it off. I am just trying to make sure if I click on the email to choose to delete it I am not opening it.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
I wouldn't worry about "malicious email" too much. The main thing you want to avoid is clicking links in email that you are not 100% sure it came from. That's where you can run into things you may not want to run into. There is nothing in a message that can do anything without some sort of initiation from you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Well... maybe not so. An HTML email is rendered by Webkit. And there are working exploits (pseudo hacks) for that. So I'd guess that any exploit of Safari's weakness can also be used in a crafty html email message.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, iPad 2 64, 2 x iPod Touch, MBA, 2 x iPhone 3g
Ahh, my problem is the other way around. I HAD the preview window but somehow have lost it and wish to turn it back on.

Any suggestions (besides I am not paranoid about email as I just bin anything I'm not sure about).

Thanks, (probably newbie finger trouble)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, iPad 2 64, 2 x iPod Touch, MBA, 2 x iPhone 3g
What an absolute PLONKER!

I thought there must be a simple solution . . . there was, I put my mouse over the base of the page and noticed it turned into a 'T' shape. I then pulled the pane up to expose . . . . the PREVIEW pane.

Sorry - it's galloping senility.

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about "malicious email" too much.
Depends on your definition of "malicious". By default, mail renders the HTML in each message it opens. And spammers insert customized graphics into mail to help track the validity of email addresses. By viewing spam, you may be unintentionally confirming that you read it. That will get you more spam. I'd argue that disabling preview should be the default within mail.

Reaction score
I, too lost my preview pane.
I just spent 30 minutes trying to figure out how to get it back. Mail Help was useless. Just try searching on "preview" or "panel" or "pane" ....

Thank goodness for the Mac Forum. Thanks Brian for this post. No it's not senility, it's another example of poor documentation/support.

I'm beginning to feel more and more uncomfortable with this switch.

What an absolute PLONKER!

I thought there must be a simple solution . . . there was, I put my mouse over the base of the page and noticed it turned into a 'T' shape. I then pulled the pane up to expose . . . . the PREVIEW pane.

Sorry - it's galloping senility.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.