• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Television License?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
Would any of our British members be so kind as to elaborate?

I am finally thoroughly confused by a foreign concept that is literally foreign.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Basically you pay the license so the national TV stations (read: government-owned) have enough money to educate the population.
Anyone with a TV that can receive broadcasts is required to pay the license fee.

Same here in Germany.

OP
Derek McNelly
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
So, it's like the PBS pledge drives, only you don't have much of an option?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4 - 17" - 4G RAM - 150G HD
its a way to pry money out of our hands as always. We pay for the BBC service so imagine you have all your TV stations they all have adverts right?

Well BBC one, two, three and four.... are ad-less
you also get the radio stations, but thats about it. so out of the hundreds of channels we have four of them we pay for and they arnt the best for broadcasting anyway.

Law is law i suppose

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Blackbook, 2GB RAM, 2.2Ghz, 160GB HD. 160GB Ipod Classic. 16GB iphone 3GS. Red 2G Shuffle.
Fort constant repeats and mediocre shows and an insane amount of soap operas - I know what I'd rather be using my £100+ fee for...

Seems also now if you can watch TV on your laptop or PC, because it's a monitor, you're also meant to pay... nice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4 - 17" - 4G RAM - 150G HD
but the great thing about using your computer for TV is that there is no broadcast signal so they wont be able to track a signal.

Id rather it be free and have adverts. I also think there was an extreme amount of cheek before the iplayer came out it was supposed to come out as a stand alone apllication like 40D (channel four On Demand) and to be only used on Windows, thankfully they changed it, if they didnt i would not be paying my Fee thats for sure

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.