lost activity monitor

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac
anyone tell me what happened? other night while on the mac decided to download a few tunes to HD for transfer later onto ipod. so inserted cd and itunes opened (way set up for) and downloading started but by accident i engaged eject button. next thing not good, song started sounding like a broken record and cd was trying to eject, the download of the first song lasted for eternity. and bad part was i couldn't stop the process, tried everything i could think, everything locked up and was non responsive, so went for broke, to shut it down. took 2 attempts but did shut down, so regrouped and started back up, didn't think i'd get anything but heard the chimes and eventually computer came back on, didn't load fully and was not to responsive but after a while it seam to run normal (it open in finder and got the disk out). been trying to check out a few apps. and all seams good but one thing, activity monitor (if it is one or utility). , it opens but don't see it, seen a hide button on tool bar but didn't mess with, but wondering if-can this be related and or more important could i have done damage to anything from what happened? was thinking about using the disk utility function to check on things but still new on these things, plus i'm not to sure yet about that function (whether to use on the os extended or other drive). think might of dodged a built on this one one but curious about what happened, it's a g3 2001 imac and evidently well built, thanks (hope i'm in right place, sorry)

Reaction score
Depending on how you shut down Activity Monitor before you might have to go to Window in the menu bar and select Activity Monitor. I don't think it would open and stay in the dock if something was seriously wrong with it.

Using Disk Utility couldn't hurt. Select your Macintosh HD and verify your disk is still ok.

I've found computers to be pretty resilient. There have been sometimes when I've been like holy crap what did I just do, to having the computer be perfectly fine.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac
Depending on how you shut down Activity Monitor before you might have to go to Window in the menu bar and select Activity Monitor. I don't think it would open and stay in the dock if something was seriously wrong with it.

Using Disk Utility couldn't hurt. Select your Macintosh HD and verify your disk is still ok.

I've found computers to be pretty resilient. There have been sometimes when I've been like holy crap what did I just do, to having the computer be perfectly fine.
,thank you, got it, it worked. never knew about opening things this way but it worked and now it's back, good stuff, (hope to remember that one). one thing more, if anyone can help , being i get 2 choices, for disk utility, if used drive other than mac os ext. jour (HD), would hurt the mac or would nothing happen? and would need to use the install disk or something? still trying to get this part of the mac down and don't want to start messing around in this area, not to much for now (and think os9 belongs there). thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.