How to remove Norton prefs from panel

T

thinkbible

I tried a Demo copy of Norton AntiVirus which placed "Norton Auto-Protect" and "Norton QuickMenu" in an "Other" section on my System Preferences panel. (I've deleted the Norton apps themselves).

I've found the other panels and I've searched for "norton" on my drive but nothing comes up. I don't see them with my other pref panels.

How do I remove these control panels from my prefs?

OP
J

johnny5w

Check both ../Library/PreferencePanes or ../User/Library/PreferencePanes. Is it not in either?

OP
A

Autoworld

I'd Like To Revisit This Question, Please.

Hi all. I'm new to this list. Hoping someone would like to revisit this topic. I have the exact same problem that ThinkBible did: after I removed everything related to Norton, I still have two icons in my System Preferences screen.

attachment.php

When I click on either of the icons, it gives a "preferences error" and says it cannot load. Doing a system search, I find no files left on my system that relate to "norton" or "symantec."

Looking in my /Library/PreferencePanes folder, I count 26 files -- same as the number of icons:

attachment.php

I find no files that correspond with a Norton icon, but there is one that looks suspicious (highlighted in red). I thought I'd delete it, but I can't.

Any ideas? It's these little things that drive me nuts! Thanks. :headphone

prefpanes icon screen.jpg

pref panes folder.jpg

OP
A

Autoworld

How to remove sticky Norton pref icons from panel?

PS: I have an iMac, 1GHz PowerPC G4, that's running 10.2.8.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook | 1.83ghz | 2gb ram
Norton is notorious (nortonrious? :p) for leaving little bits of crap all over the place.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
You may want to look at your "user/Library/Preferences" and your "/Library/Preferences" folders. Also just do a file search on "Norton". Those options should pull up all of the stray files. Then you can safely delete them once you have found them.
As for the one highlighted in red, have you tried seeing if the file is locked? Do a Get Info on it and see if there are any restrictions on it. You may need to unlock it before you can delete it.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Don't just look for Norton, Look for Symantec. Norton does this same stuff in Windows also. Leave files all over the place and hundreds of registery entrys with Symantec.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
also make sure to look in your application support folders. though I think that would be included in the search.
just a question, but there are no viruses on os x, so why use norton anti virus? unless you're networked with wintel machines. but even if there were viruses, norton is the worse excuse for protection of any kind and it often causes more damage than any virus would.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
dtravis7 said:
Don't just look for Norton, Look for Symantec. Norton does this same stuff in Windows also. Leave files all over the place and hundreds of registery entrys with Symantec.
Thanks, I forgot about that. Its been so long since I used a Norton/Symantec program

OP
A

Autoworld

D3v1L80Y: thanks ... had tried unlocking but I cannot get it to delete.

dtravis7f: thanks ... as mentioned in my first note, I did that. When I do a search there is no mention whatsoever of files with either "norton" or "symantec" in their names. I am wondering if there are abbreviated files like "nav" (norton anit virus) or something.

You guys have a file in your system/preferencepanes called "Ink.prefPane"?

Thanks, Bob

OP
A

Autoworld

Macman: I had heard that there were a *few* viruses out there for the Mac, so I thought I'd give it a try. I shoulda known better. Ironically these two Norton icons are about as hard to remove as a virus.

-Bob

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Autoworld said:
D3v1L80Y: thanks ... had tried unlocking but I cannot get it to delete.

dtravis7f: thanks ... as mentioned in my first note, I did that. When I do a search there is no mention whatsoever of files with either "norton" or "symantec" in their names. I am wondering if there are abbreviated files like "nav" (norton anit virus) or something.

You guys have a file in your system/preferencepanes called "Ink.prefPane"?

Thanks, Bob
The Ink.prefPane just opens entire System Preferences. Clicking on an individual file like "EnergySaver.prefPane" will opent the System Preferences with the Energy Saver in focus. If you don't have one for Norton showing, then that is definitely odd.

Have you tried repairing permissions? Maybe running something like MacJanitor will help as well. Outside of that I am just as stumped as you are.

OP
A

Autoworld

D3v1L80Y: Thanks. Yeah, I figured out what that file was *just after* I posted the message.

The strange thing is, if anyone goes back and looks at my two screen shots, you'll notice I have 26 icons in the System Preferences window *and* 26 files in my PreferencePane folder. But when I open each file, I find a legitimate Mac preference program. I can't seem to find a corresponding file to match the two icons. Isn't that a weird one?

Taking your recommendation, I tried repairing permissions. No change. Aaarrrgh! :mad:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Autoworld said:
D3v1L80Y: Thanks. Yeah, I figured out what that file was *just after* I posted the message.

The strange thing is, if anyone goes back and looks at my two screen shots, you'll notice I have 26 icons in the System Preferences window *and* 26 files in my PreferencePane folder. But when I open each file, I find a legitimate Mac preference program. I can't seem to find a corresponding file to match the two icons. Isn't that a weird one?

Taking your recommendation, I tried repairing permissions. No change. Aaarrrgh! :mad:

You are running 10.2.8 correct? The other day a friend of mine got a little Mac server and wanted my help. I installed it on my Mini with Panther and later my old Yikes! G4 with Jaugar 10.2.8. It would not go away from Preferences. I went to the preference pane and nothing. Eventually I had to go to the terminal and into the nix folders and zap it from there. Glad I remembered my command line unix from my Linux days. I doubt Norton put files there but I thought I would mention it anyway.

One more thing, under Panther all I had to do is go to the preferences and right click on the icon for the server and there was an option to delete. In 10.2.8 there was no right click and no way to delete it. COuld be the same thing with yours. Will some searching around and see if I can find the answer for you. If you ever use any AntiVirus with OSX try Virux by McAfee. Better program. Right now I don't see any need for AV on OSX unless like has already been stated you are on a windows network.

Update, Try this link. It's a PDF file. See if any of this helps.

http://www.itc.virginia.edu/desktop/mac/norton_antivirus_x/uninstallnorton8.pdf

OP
A

Autoworld

dtravis7: Thanks. Yes on 10.2.8. I too tried to find a key combo that would allow me to delete the icons. As you stated, nothing there.

FYI, this machine is on a home network with three other XP computers.

I will review the PDF and report. Thanks agian.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Any luck? Never heard back from you, so figured it worked.

OP
A

Autoworld

dtravis7 said:
Any luck? Never heard back from you, so figured it worked.
Funny you write this because at the same time you posted it, I had finally found the time to read that PDF link that was posted -- line by line -- and was looking at the thread as your note popped up. I will let you know if it works. Thanks for asking.

UPDATE:

I cannot get past this section in the instructions of line 18:

Double-click System (the folder named "System", and not the folder named "System Folder"), then
Library, then Extensions.
Remove these files:
- KTUM.kext
- SymEvent.kext
- SymOSXKernelUtilities.kext

I was told the files are owned by "Root," so I changed their permissions to me ("iMac"), but now I am told "they cannot be deleted." I am the only user and have all the administrator permissions.

What makes this more difficult, is that it was a download demo, so I have no Norton startup CD to boot from.

- Bob

OP
I

IChing

Thinkbible wrote on 10-20 2004, on norton

"Norton AntiVirus is crashing - taking out disk
I posted a topic yesterday concerning my 80 Meg hard disk which actually had 60 meg of free space on it but system reported it as almost full. A backup and restore (from mirror) fixed the problem.

I have found what is doing this. I just tried running a demo version of Norton AntiVirus and it crashed. When an antivirus scan is started the system crashes and what appears to be an Apple error dialog appears stating that system need to be restarted. (its a gray black box with the start button icon in it. The msg is in english and 3 other languages.)

When I restarted my Mac my free space now shows as 14 gig. Just before the crash I had 54 Gig of free space!!! No disk or file util shows me what is taking up 40 gig of the disk. Diskwarrior shows no problems.

Only a backup, erase, and restore fixes the problem."

I don't mind helping but think when we give advice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
IMO Norton and OS X are not a good mix.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.