• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iDVD and making a custom DVD

Reaction score
so... I have 4 AVI's all sized ~350MB and ~43 minutes in length. I chose a menu I really like and put together a DVD. It was ~6GB large and to make it fit I used dvd2one one it.

The encoding process took me 3:40 hours and the resizing another 20 mins, so basically 4 hours for a 240 min DVD. Is that slow? I use a 2.16GHz macbook with 1GB RAM and a 5400RPM HDD. Would adding more RAM or buying a 7200RPM HDD improve things and by how much?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Activity Monitor can allow you to see how much memory you are using while running those processes. If you are near your 1GB then more memory could help.

Faster drives can help but again you need to figure out if the drive is a bottle neck. For that you need to know the expected throughput of the drive and look at the Disk Activity tab.

The question is how big of an improvement you will see.

OP
B
Reaction score
I'll check teh activity monitor, but can you (or someone else) tell me would it be more beneficial to do the encoding on a 4 or 8 core machine rather than on a 2 core one? Does the fact that I have integrated graphics make a difference?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I'll check teh activity monitor, but can you (or someone else) tell me would it be more beneficial to do the encoding on a 4 or 8 core machine rather than on a 2 core one? Does the fact that I have integrated graphics make a difference?

Video conversion is primarily down to number crunching. RAM, HDD speed both have a part to play but the biggest influence is the processor(s).
Simply:- The greater the grunt, the faster the conversion.

OP
B
Reaction score
so all things being equal, a faster processor would encode faster. BUT, would a processor with more cores also do it faster? what I'm basically asking is iDVD optimized for single core processors or 2 or 4 or 8 cores?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
iDVD's workload is split over multiple threads so yes.... it will benefit from multiple cores.

How much is subjective and related to your source materials original format/encoding.

A bit of Googling might find you some benchmarks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
In Activity Monitor, look under CPU %. If your process is taking more than 100%, then it must be using more than one processor.

Just because an application is using more than 100% CPU doesn't garrantee the process will use more than 2 cores, as it could have been written to a limit of 2. Today though, most code designers that are trying to get the maximum bang out of the multi processor machines will not place this kind of hard limit in their application.

Has anyone seen iDVD or iMovie use more than 200% CPU resources? I'm under the impression that they will use what is available, but I haven't seen it because I only have dual processor machines. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.